Zit Like Growth On Discus

dalmatia

View media item 248830View media item 248830
Hello...new to this forum. I have a 6 inch Stendker discus with a "zit" like growth on its upper side. It started over a year ago, burst, appeared to heal, and then started to regrow about 10 months ago. This time it grew much larger. It does not appear to affect the discus in any way, as the fish is the dominant one, eats well, and otherwise appears fine. Last night it burst, and the pictures are below. There is white fleshy like or even pus like material hanging out. The discus still appears fine otherwise. Water parameters are good 80F, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 30. Community tank...heavily planted....everyone healthy...no recent introductions. Has anyone go any idea what this is? I hate to treat for parasites and ruin a balanced tank if its not a parasite. Ive had one suggestion to treat with Cupramine.

nikm128

Treat it with stress coat so it heals up, then I'd try and find a fish vet to get it removed safely. Definitely not a parasite.

angelcraze

Cupramine is a copper medication for parasites.

If it was a parasite, you'd see more of them by now and the lession would not recur in the same spot.

Agree with nikm128, I'd treat it as a cyst or tumor. Probably not malignant since it's been so long.

It's hard to see in the pic, but did the cyst look cauliflower like? With a bunch of tiny clusters?

dalmatia

Yes...it was a slowly growing bump covered in the fishes skin but also had bumps on the growth. When it blew up last night, only the main part exploded with white fleshy like substance or harmed pus like substance hanging out and some came off in the water. Some of the bumps on the main growth have not exploded. But there still is white substance hanging out...it certainly does not look like a parasite or parasites or anything alive. Not affecting the fish at all. But the skin is open and that is a concern

I don’t think it’s cauliflower like

I've changed my mind Angelcraze….I think it does have a cauliflower look to it now

angelcraze

The reason I asked was because I dealt with (pretty certain but not confirmed in a lab) Lymphocystis virus in my QT tank when I ordered in some EB rams. I did a ton of reading and in the end I realised their is a lot of misconception and lack of real scientific data because there's just not enough money in it. It is a virus that creates cauliflower-like white or fleshy pink growths anywhere on and maybe in) the fish. These growths are cosmetic, they are not deadly unless the growth impede organ function.

The growths to me looked slightly under the skin in places. I read these cysts can pop and release the virus. I do not know what these cysts look like when they burst, but I've read they go away or recede on their own. The lesions can also go into 'remission'.

Although it could be anything else like a regular cyst too, so I wouldn't jump to that. It kind of looks like the growth was scraped off and that's what it looks like under the skin. Take as a grain of salt, it was just very reminiscent of what I was reading about Lymph. I like Nik's advise to see a vet if that is an option.

But if it is and even if it's not, clean water, great parameters, good nutrition is the best thing for him. And concentrate on healing that lession. I have used Capatta Leaves in the filter (I wrap them in DIY media bags) for soft water loving fish and StressCoat to protect against bacteria and fungus when my fish get injured. Also they are called Indian Almond Leaves (IALs).

dalmatia

Thank you so much for sharing this information...really appreciate you taking the time to reply!! Tom
ps am treating the water column right now with Seachem Stress Guard which is supposed to improve healing....on the second day of it. Discus seem oblivious to having this growth on its side

nikm128

As long as it doesn't seem to effect them, that's a great sign

RyanLee

That's a discus pimple. What does your water change schedule look like? They will typically go away on there own with lots of clean water changes and adding some salt helps too at a rate of 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons. Of course that's tricky to do in a heavily planted tank. Keeping discus 100% healthy in a planted tank can be tricky.

Kjeldsen

Agree with Lymphosystis, a viral disease common among cichlids. No known treatment, but usually goes away on its own in time, kind of like warts in humans. It's possible for tank mates to catch it though, so you may want to isolate the fish until it's gone.

nikm128

That's a discus pimple.
What's that? Can you explain a bit more? I've never heard of that before

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CindiL
Replies
Views
Reeferxbetta
  • Question
10 Gallon Tank Tooth Like Growth