Zig zag Nerite observation.

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Witchydesign, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Witchydesign

Witchydesign Well Known Member Member

I have had a zigzag Nerite in my tank since March. He rarely ever went in the water, constantly cleaned the Outside of the glass at which point he'd be put back inside the water. That only lasted long enough for him to crawl back up the glass. Even manually put him on the veggies i put in for the snails, nope doesn't want them. About a week or two ago i added driftwood. Yesterday i saw him on the front glass again so i dropped him back in next to the driftwood.

He hasn't left the water since.

He's been going all over that driftwood and wont leave it lol. I usually do a daily "wheres Turbo" check, at least to make sure hes not on the outside glass, or the floor... The walls.... Ect ect. I hope this makes him happy and he stays in the water. Lol.

2. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

I almost regret buying zigzags with the amount of times I have t return them to the tank from half across the room. I have lost two to being out to long and one that fell into the tank upright, so my knight gobies plucked him out of his shell. I found that lowering the water line 2 inches reduces the amount of outdoor trips, but doesnt stop completely.

3. OP
    OP
    Witchydesign

He seems to be enjoying the driftwood. Unless hes the one making the large black spot on the glass. I should get up and check but my feet disagree wth moving right now.

4. C

CLam Valued Member Member

Can you post pics? I don't think I've ever seen a zigzag nerite.

5. OP
    OP
    Witchydesign

When my feet agree movement is achievable i will. Just got off work, so they are still complaining lol. I will tonight though

6. OP
    OP
    Witchydesign

Heres a pic of him, itll look odd at the top of his shell because he had to get a patch job on his shell. It was cracked badly when igot him. :-( you can barely see it in the pic, he wasnt feeling photogenic lol. [​IMG]

7. C

CLam Valued Member Member

!!!!

That's so pretty! I wish I could keep a few in my own tank, but I have assassins, and although nerites are considerable larger, I've heard tell of assassins teaming up against larger snails, and would rather not risk it, although there are shellies in that same tank, so I guess new homes? But then I feel bad for having such a mercenary attitude.

8. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm Included Well Known Member Member

Mine are strictly nocturnal, hiding under the hood or on the floor(on their excursions) during the day.
    I get to watch my zebras and tiger blood instead.
    I moved a couple to a tank with driftwood in it, but it is more open than the other tanks....

9. OP
    OP
    Witchydesign

I only have one assassin, and he prefers the younger ramshorns to the nerite.

10. Kindafishy

Kindafishy Valued Member Member

Now you have my curiosity piqued. How does one do a "patch job" on a snail?

11. OP
    OP
    Witchydesign

I used a piece of breather bag to cover the crack, and super glued it on. :) I've heard of people using egg shell membrane for small cracks, but this was a large one and i didn't think he would heal properly. So plastic breather bag and super glue.

12. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 Well Known Member Member

Egg shell would have worked for the shell patch also. You can also cover the top of the tank with plastic wrap to try and keep the snail where he belongs!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice