Zero-Carb?

1. stashattack Member Member

2. Wendy Lubianetsky Well Known Member Member

;:barfI think it says Zeo - Carb. If that would change the meaning for you... it does for me. I tried 0 Carb Red Bull two days ago and almost choked. It was horrible.

Wendy

3. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

:giggle:

4. toosie Well Known Member Member

OMG Wendy, you just made me spit out my coffee!! and the laughing dude has disappeared! What's up with that? Or am I just to blind to see? Hahaha, anyways....

Zeo is short for Zeolite. The Carb means activated carbon is mixed in with it. Zeolite will absorb ammonia out of the water. In some situations this is an ok thing. The problem with it in a freshwater aquarium is 2 things that I can think of. First, when it absorbs certain ions such as ammonia it swaps it with sodium ions. This can cause problems if you have salt sensitive fish or even plants. The biggest problem is it locks up ammonia NOT leaving it in a form for beneficial bacteria to consume so it is not a good product to use when cycling a tank or in a cycled tank. It can be useful in emergency situations for short term use but the use of it should be done so with caution. A cycled tank is far superior to using zeolite for ammonia control. When zeolite is exhausted and it is time to replace it or recharge it, it leaves a window open for high levels of ammonia to once again develop in the tank because the beneficial bacteria is no longer there to deal with it. This is of course dangerous for the fish and most people really don't want to do ammonia testing everyday of their fish keeping experience just to determine when it's time to recharge or replace the zeolite so that they can do it before ammonia has time to harm their fish.

5. Borisbbadd Guest

That made my morning...:;laughing:;laughing:;laughing

6. stashattack Member Member

O wow I feel like an idiot :p

toosie, thanks for the info. I had no idea what this product was. I will totally not get it. It sounds awful!

7. toosie Well Known Member Member

Well, it's not an awful product in certain situations. I have used zeolite before in a crashed tank to remove as much of the ammonia as we could while the water had a low pH (low ph means a lot of the ammonia was in ammonium form which made it safer at that point for the fish) before we started changing water which would inevitably raise pH and increase the toxicity of the ammonia. In this situation the product help cut down on the amount of time it would have taken to do enough water changes to remove the ammonia as well. We were dealing with fish that were in 8+ppm of ammonia with pH lower than the test kit could measure. We managed to save all but two of the fish. Two corys didn't make it through the procedure but I believe their deaths had as much to do with the salt released from the zeolite as it was from the rest of the procedure we used to get the fish back into healthy safe water.

I'm sure there are other short term situations where this product is very useful. It's just not something I would recommend using on a long term basis because of the problems I listed before.