Zero Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates

1. greenbeanette Member Member

I set up a 20 gallon tank about 6 weeks ago with 1 male betta. I added TSS and didn't change the water for two weeks, at which point my results were 0,0, 5.

I then left town for two weeks, during which the betta was fed sparingly and no water was changed. When I returned I tested the water and got all zeros. I did a water change/vacuum because there was poop all over the bottom of the tank. Today, once again, my test results are reading zeros across the board.

What's going on?

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

have you messed with the filter at all?

I highly doubt you lost your cycle.

3. nexigen Member Member

Sounds like what I go through. I have one Betta in a 20 gallon as well, with a lot of plants. I think my plants are using the Nitrates as fertilizer, so in your case perhaps plants or algae?

4. greenbeanette Member Member

I haven't touched the filter. I actually wanted the change to an Aquaclear today but haven't done so yet.

My driftwood does have some white algae on it, which I've read is normal for new driftwood?

5. pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

yes that white fuzz is normal on new wood, leave it or take it out and scrub it off its your call.

If you have live plants in the tank then most likely they are the cause of the nitrate loss

If not then it could be a few other natural causes but I wouldn't be overly concerned as you had seen nitrates in the past and currently do not see ammonia.

The other part is that one beta in a 20gal tank doesn't really put out a lot for that filter to do so it may just be handling the whole thing.

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I don't know about driftwood.

I assume you did a water change before you left for 2 weeks - the betta wouldn't have created much ammonia under those circumstances. The more you feed the higher the bioload, and so the opposite is also true.

Ease back into your normal feeding routine.