Zero Ammonia But High Nitrite And Nitrate

1. DXL1230

DXL1230 New Member Member

I'm a little stumped as to what to do now. My levels based onothe Freshwater Master Kit are as follows:

PH - 7.0
    Ammonia - 0
    Nitrite - 2.0-5.0
    Nitrate - 10-20

Thoughts? Perhaps a 50% water change?

2. coralbandit

coralbandit Well Known Member Member

Do you have fish in tank ?
    If so then yes 50% water change and test again later.
    If you are cycling fishless then stand back and watch as the tank seems close to complete..
    You want 0 nitrites if you have fish so a 50% change will leave you with aprox. 1-2.5 which is still lethal..
    Change water again tomorrow [50%].That will get you .5-1 aprox.

3. OP
    OP
    DXL1230

Thanks, I do have fish in my 65gallon. Will do a 50% change and again tomorrow and post results in a few days.

4. coralbandit

coralbandit Well Known Member Member

If you are using prime to dechlorinate[you $hould] it can be dosed upto 5 times normal dose and it will de toxify the nitrite for 48 hours .
    I would use 3times the recommended amount. It will still register on test even though the prime was effective.
    Good luck and welcome .

5. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

Are you cycling this tank? If not - what has disturbed your cycle?

6. OP
    OP
    DXL1230

I'm still cycling and made the rookie mistake of adding too many fish (all hardy) too soon.

7. Cody91

Cody91 New Member Member

So i find myself in a similar situation. I have had ny tank setup for a few weeks and all three levels are up...
    10 gallon tank
    Ammonia-2ppm
    Nitrite-1ppm
    Nitratea 20ppm
    I had fish...they didnt make it through the cycle but it feels like the cycle is going on for too long. Any suggestions?

8. Mom2some

Mom2some Well Known Member Member

General guideline:
    If ammonia # + Nitrite # > or = 1.0, do a 50% water change until they are under 1.0, dosing with Prime, then retest in 24 hours.

Overall I would feed sparingly maybe every other day. There are two types of bacteria & the ones which convert nitrites to nitrates have not caught up yet. You are making progress, but may have a lot of water changes in the next few days. Then one day you will test & nitrates will be gone!

9. OP
    OP
    DXL1230

72 hr Update:

PH - 7.0
    Ammonia - 0
    Nirtrite - 0
    Nitrate - 20

Almost there! Lol

10. 8

83jase Valued Member Member