Zeo-carb Help 

anaugle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a product for my AC HOB it's called zeo-carb. It's the filter insert that has carbon and ammonia remover in it. It has black and white bead like things in it. The carbon one is just black(which I've been using). My questions are...... Does anyone know how well this works? And is it better than the just carbon one? Does the ammonia remover really work?

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
carbon can work pretty well to clear up water and to remove medications after the fish are cured, I don't think one brand of carbon would work much better than another, so I would assume the "zeo-carb" would get the job done there. The white grains are most likely zeolite, which is often used to lower ammonia levels. Zeolite can be pretty useful to help lower excess ammonia levels when adding more fish to an established aquarium and will help give your biological filtration time to adjust to the increased bioload. However, neither carbon nor zeolite can replace a well cycled tank nor should they be a quick fix to things like algae outbreaks or persistently high ammonia levels, but they are useful in maintaining a clean, healthy aquarium.

anaugle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So it should help with lowering my ammonia levels as well as changing the water daily? I got an ammonia spike when my Molly died.

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
yes, people have their different opinions but in the case of an ammonia spike from a dead fish, I think adding zeolite is a good way to manage ammonia in addition to daily water changes with prime or amquel+

anaugle

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
thx

kuhliLoachFan

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Regular use of Zeolite can starve your normal biofiltration capacity. Special occasional use of Zeolite, plus active carbon, after water changes can be a good idea. I wouldn't leave it in the tank more than 24 hours after the ammonia readings go below your ability to measure it in your test kits.

W

gremlin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I actually like the zeolite. It absorbs the ammonia as well as making a place for the beneficial bacteria to grow. From what I've read on the package, the ammonia is still available to the bacteria - they can get it right out of the rock. It basically acts as a "food warehouse" for the good bacteria. I use the Pond Rocks from Drs Foster & Smith. They are larger than the little "White Diamond" brand stuff. They look kind of neat in a tank setting, but I just throw them in my pond filter as part of the media. I also use them to help weight down my lily.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads