Zeez's Beverage Dispenser Tank

Discussion in 'Members Fish Tanks' started by ZeeZ, Apr 24, 2018.

1. ZeeZWell Known MemberMember

Hello! A few of you may remember my old blog from years and years and years (actually, just 2012-2013) ago. Most of you won't know me so I'll start from the beginning.

In 2010 I got a gift certificate. From who, I have no idea. It simply suddenly showed up on my Amazon account so I used it to buy a 3 Gallon Beverage Dispenser that I would turn into a Tank. I got a friend who owns a reef lighting company to custom make me a LED light and mounted it to the Dispenser's top. Next I got some organic soil and added some fertilizers to it then used pool sand as a top for it. I got a bunch of plants from people on here and another forum then started it up. It worked beautifully. It had Dwarf Baby Tears on a mesh wall, Sags, Cabomba and a few other plants I can't remember. Eventually the Sags overtook everything. The Yellow Shrimp loved it, though. I had around 60 in there along with a Tracked Nerite Snail.

TankProgress.jpg
    beverage_dispenser_tank_2_by_allhailz-d5ifi1z.jpg
    gp2ywn3p copy.jpg
    BevDispUpdate.jpg
    BevUpdate3.jpg
    beverage_dispenser_tank_10_7_2013_by_allhailz-d6pkifj.jpg
    feeding_time__by_allhailz-d6pi0ha.jpg

But then an unfortunate incident happened. I was out of town for two weeks and my roommates had turned off the light. Everything in it died. All the 60 Yellow Shrimp, the Nerite, every Sag, gone. I tossed everything out and started over again with fresh soil, fresh fertilizer, and Black Diamond Blasting Sand this time around.

IMG_20140106_121716_996.jpg
    IMG_20140106_121727_247.jpg

I'll make another post with more pictures and more details about what happened after this up until now.

2. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Yes, I do remember!
    I have liked the beverage container usage as tanks, it’s very interesting. I’d like to see more updates on this project! :)

3. ZeeZWell Known MemberMember

So, this time I decided to try Hydrocotyle and Subwassertang Moss tied to a piece of Cholla wood. Unfortunately, there was something wrong with this particular piece of Cholla wood but I wouldn't know it at the time. The Moss died off as did the Hydrocotyle.

IMG_20140605_203122_992.jpg

Okay. No biggie. I still wanted to keep trying again with this Cholla wood so it was Dwarf Baby Tears this time around. All of a sudden, a strange mold started. It wouldn't go away and eventually killed the poor Tears off.

IMG_20140309_172336_737.jpg

I refused to give up so I tried again with a huge mat of emersed Dwarf Baby Tears that I had bought off eBay and lowered the water level this time around. Then the weirdest thing happened! Psychedelic mushrooms showed up. :jawdrop:

IMG_20140801_185404_367.jpg
    IMG_20140806_224015_754.jpg

That was a huge red flag to me so I finally took the Cholla out. Lo and behold, the Dwarf Baby Tears finally worked! I wasn't using a CO2 system, just some fertilizer in the substrate and Flourish Excel. A new retailer of Bonsai Driftwood came out and I bought one up for this tank because it looked so much better than the little piece of Cholla wood! I put some Subwassertang Moss on it and the tank was beautiful! For a little while, at least...

20150526_214213.jpg

But it wasn't meant to be. The big tree (for this tank) along with the Subwassertang overshadowed the Dwarf Baby Tears too much and they died off once again. So it was back to square one for me. This brings the story of the Beverage Dispenser Tank up to now. Right now it has some Dwarf Hair Grass growing in it that I am hoping will do better with some shade from the tree. I'm planning on using Micrantha buce plants as the tree's "leaves".

BevDisp.jpg

Feel free to follow this thread to see what happens in the future!

4. JoeCamaroWell Known MemberMember

Pretty cool!

5. snailsatemyhomeworkNew MemberMember

Love it! What’s the bonsai’s tree retailer?

6. ZeeZWell Known MemberMember

Thanks, Joe! Glad to see you, Fanatic!

bonsaidriftwood.com

7. JunneFishlore LegendMember

I remember that!!!!!!!!!! Sorry about your loss - :(
    The Dwarf Hair Grass looks awesome! Good luck with the new / revamped project!

8. ZeeZWell Known MemberMember

Thanks, Junne!

9. SmalltownfishfriendWell Known MemberMember

That's really nice!! Looking forward to seeing what happens with it,;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice