Status
Not open for further replies.

Muffymouse

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
HELP! Zedd is not doing well =(

Zedd my CT has recently become very mopey and depressed. I was going to ask about that today when I noticed that he is starting to pinecone as well. Help please!! I don't know what to do for him! He just hangs around the bottom of his tank almost all day. He eats and poos just fine but does very little else. His breathing is normal and his color is fine, but he might be a little bloated.

Water parameters as of right now:
Ammonia - >0.25 (I know it should be 0, but no matter how hard I try I can't get rid of it all)

Nitrite - 0.0

Nitrate - 5

Temp is 81

Last edited:

Goldwing_Don

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry to hear about Your Fish. I'm not in to Betta's so a can help you much there. Have you tried using R/O water mixed with your Aquarium water to see if that helps with the water parameters? just a thought.I hope the Betta people show up soon to help with the fish part. Here's a BUMP to try to keep in on top...Good luck

bass master

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Im sorry to hear about your fish

dropsy is very difficult to treat because it can be a sign of many different diseases.... Pristine water seems to be your best option, so to take care of your ammonia you should start daily water changes with amquel+. Test your water to see if that could be the source of ammonia, if it is I agree that the RO would be a good idea. Some people do treat with various medications such as broad spectrum antibiotics like marcyn 1 and 2 to cover both gram positive and gram negative bacteria, but often times medications are tough on your fish's system and can do more harm than good... Good luck and I hope he starts getting better soon

Furallicah

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
This can be a sign of Dropsy yes, but there is differences in Bettas. What are you feeding him on a daily basis? What ever it is you are feeding him you should treat it in garlic juice before giving it to hime. But dont feed him anymore food. Fast him for 5 days with a pea on day 3 he should begin to recover. If he still doesnt show much better conditions try a treatment of Maracyn2 or Kanaplex if you can find it. If any of his conditions change let us know. Can you post a picture of him? Also if your ammonia is .25 and you can not get it down it might be ammonia in your tap water test just plan tap water and see what you get. Best of Luck.

*Edit I was ninja'ed lol*

OP
M

Muffymouse

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Thanks everyone, I didn't think there was much that I could do other than what has been suggested, but I appreciate hearing them just the same. I hate losing another baby to this.

pamd

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm so sorry, Muffy. Since you well know the signs of Dropsy, I am afraid it's really Dropsy. If you're 99.9% sure, there's nothing you can do other than keep him comfortable, and if you are so inclined, to euthanize him. Really tough decision.

I'm so sorry.

Tigerfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I'm so sorry muffy, it does indeed sound like dropsy. Like you, I have experience of this and as you know, it's not very nice for them. Keep him nice and warm and keep talking to him. Keep us updated though, it's very sad.

Mine's hid away most of the time or floated near the top scared, as if he thought I was going to make him feel worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom