Zedd is not doing well =(

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Muffymouse, Apr 8, 2010.

1. MuffymouseValued MemberMember

HELP! Zedd is not doing well =(

Zedd my CT has recently become very mopey and depressed. I was going to ask about that today when I noticed that he is starting to pinecone as well. Help please!! I don't know what to do for him! He just hangs around the bottom of his tank almost all day. He eats and poos just fine but does very little else. His breathing is normal and his color is fine, but he might be a little bloated.

Water parameters as of right now:
    Ammonia - >0.25 (I know it should be 0, but no matter how hard I try I can't get rid of it all)

Nitrite - 0.0

Nitrate - 5

Temp is 81

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  2. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_DonWell Known MemberMember

Sorry to hear about Your Fish. I'm not in to Betta's so a can help you much there. Have you tried using R/O water mixed with your Aquarium water to see if that helps with the water parameters? just a thought.I hope the Betta people show up soon to help with the fish part. Here's a BUMP to try to keep in on top...Good luck

3. red020804

red020804Valued MemberMember

im a fish beginner myself so i dont know if all fish get the same diseases but it sounds to me like your betta has dropsy. it doesnt have all the symptoms but does have some. here is a link that might help.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_dropsy

good luck to you and your betta

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  4. bass master

bass masterWell Known MemberMember

Im sorry to hear about your fish :(

dropsy is very difficult to treat because it can be a sign of many different diseases.... Pristine water seems to be your best option, so to take care of your ammonia you should start daily water changes with amquel+. Test your water to see if that could be the source of ammonia, if it is I agree that the RO would be a good idea. Some people do treat with various medications such as broad spectrum antibiotics like marcyn 1 and 2 to cover both gram positive and gram negative bacteria, but often times medications are tough on your fish's system and can do more harm than good... Good luck and I hope he starts getting better soon

5. Furallicah

FurallicahWell Known MemberMember

This can be a sign of Dropsy yes, but there is differences in Bettas. What are you feeding him on a daily basis? What ever it is you are feeding him you should treat it in garlic juice before giving it to hime. But dont feed him anymore food. Fast him for 5 days with a pea on day 3 he should begin to recover. If he still doesnt show much better conditions try a treatment of Maracyn2 or Kanaplex if you can find it. If any of his conditions change let us know. Can you post a picture of him? Also if your ammonia is .25 and you can not get it down it might be ammonia in your tap water test just plan tap water and see what you get. Best of Luck.

*Edit I was ninja'ed lol*:;nin2

6. Martinismommy

MartinismommyFishlore VIPMember

Muffy,

I'm sorry your boy is not feeling well....Pineconing is not a good thing....All you can really do now is keep him warm and comfortable.....He is probably going to pass away soon.....I'm so sorry......

7. OP
    OP
    M

MuffymouseValued MemberMember

Thanks everyone, I didn't think there was much that I could do other than what has been suggested, but I appreciate hearing them just the same. I hate losing another baby to this.

8. Furallicah

Did you lose another betta the same mannor in the same tank?

9. Flyfrod

FlyfrodValued MemberMember

It's so sad to here your betta is not well. Best Wishes:;group

10. OP
    OP
    M

MuffymouseValued MemberMember

I have lost 2 other bettas to dropsy, but neither one was in this tank and both have been 3 or more years ago.

11. Furallicah

Ah, ok. I was going to ask if you had cleaned the tank out right. But nevermind then. I hope things to well for you. Best of Wishes.

12. pamdWell Known MemberMember

I'm so sorry, Muffy. Since you well know the signs of Dropsy, I am afraid it's really Dropsy. If you're 99.9% sure, there's nothing you can do other than keep him comfortable, and if you are so inclined, to euthanize him. Really tough decision.

I'm so sorry. :;group

13. Tigerfishy

TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

I'm so sorry muffy, it does indeed sound like dropsy. Like you, I have experience of this and as you know, it's not very nice for them. Keep him nice and warm and keep talking to him. Keep us updated though, it's very sad.

Mine's hid away most of the time or floated near the top scared, as if he thought I was going to make him feel worse :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice