Zebras keep eating the betta's food!

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have a 20 gallon with one male betta and five zebra danios. Whenever I try to feed the betta, the pellets it misses usually get eaten by the zebra danios. Sometimes the betta will nibble at the tropical flakes I give the zebras, but I'm not sure if he really eats it.

My question is, is it okay for me to feed both of them the same food? If not, then what is a good technique for preventing the zebras from getting hold of the betta food?

My betta food's ingredients: fish meal, shrimp meal, soybean meal, wheat flour, corn gluten meal, fish oil, squid meal, brewers dried yeast, calcium propionate, rice bran ... and a bunch of chemicals designed to give the betta extra vitamins.

Min. crude protein: 42%
Min. crude fat: 6%
Max. crude fiber: 2%
Max. moisture: 10%

The tropical fish flakes: fish meal, wheat flour, corn gluten meal, brewers dried yeast, wheat germ meal, soy protein concentrate, shrimp meal, fish protein concentrate, herring meal, marigold extract ... and again some extra chemicals for vitamins.

Min. crude protein: 45%
Min. crude fat: 10%
Max. crude fiber: 4%
Max. moisture: 10%

Seems close enough, right?

blkdeath75

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Both foods sound fine for either fish. My betta is housed with a greedy little pack of Neons and what I do is wait for him to go to one side and hit the opposite side with flake which the Neons will rush then I drop his food in on top of him. Works for the most part but he usually gets a bit of flake also.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

The best way to make sure your Betta has food is to give him a home, 5 to 10 gallon, heated and filtered, all to him/herself. Bettas don't appreciate tank mates. Things may be going well now but that doesn't mean it's going to remain that way.

Something you could consider is dividing the tank.
Dividing a tank for betta's..fun and low cost

According to your Aquarium Profile Information you have the betta in a 10 gallon by himself. When you have time, please update your Aquarium Profile Information. It will help others in their responses.

To access the profile, click on MY SETTINGS in the blue bar close to the top of the screen. In the drop down box click on EDIT AQUARIUM INFORMATION.

Best of luck,
Ken

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I agree with Ken. No way, in my opinion, is it a good idea to have a betta with something as nippy as danios.

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Meenu said:
I agree with Ken. No way, in my opinion, is it a good idea to have a betta with something as nippy as danios.
Not danios. Are you talking about the fish that grow around 4" long and nip each other all the time, or the neon tetra sized one that some guy found a way to make glow in the dark?

So far the zebras haven't nipped at the betta. It's a 20 gallon tank and after all each of them has 4 others to play with. I'd be more concerned about the zebras getting bit, only they're way too fast for that.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Imo, the betta doesn't belong with the fish in your tank. I'm not a huge fan of putting them in community tanks.

Not only because of the feeding problem you're having, but there could be aggression issues down the road as the other members brought up.

Seperating them would solve your feeding problems.

Good luck!

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Lucy said:
Imo, the betta doesn't belong with the fish in your tank. I'm not a huge fan of putting them in community tanks.

Not only because of the feeding problem you're having, but there could be aggression issues down the road as the other members brought up.

Seperating them would solve your feeding problems.

Good luck!
Ah. I was able to keep the other fish from eating the betta food today.

I know zebra danios are fast and if they grow to full size they might start nipping, but that's just something I'll have to watch. If I notice the betta acting weird I'll do something about it. But as far as I've heard, bettas make surprisingly good community fish.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
kreuztraeger said:
Not danios. Are you talking about the fish that grow around 4" long and nip each other all the time, or the neon tetra sized one that some guy found a way to make glow in the dark?

So far the zebras haven't nipped at the betta. It's a 20 gallon tank and after all each of them has 4 others to play with. I'd be more concerned about the zebras getting bit, only they're way too fast for that.
Yes, danios. I am not talking about some 4" fish. I am talking about zebra danios. They are little fish, about 2 inches. They are notorious for being fin-nippers. I used to have a school of them. GloFish are genetically colored zebra danios.

kreuztraeger

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Meenu said:
Yes, danios. I am not talking about some 4" fish. I am talking about zebra danios. They are little fish, about 2 inches. They are notorious for being fin-nippers. I used to have a school of them. GloFish are genetically colored zebra danios.
Fin nippers they are, but so far it's just been with their own kind. They're scared of the betta.

Mine are still only about an inch long. I bought them small.

VRValicento

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
OK, now I need glofish danio food advice.

I have a snail tank and I just bought a lovely hot pink danio and put it in the tank with them. I now have 5 mystery snails, a danio, and an algae eater chinese fish in a 2.5 gallon tank. I had 4 snails, and a dwarf frog, but he died after a week, so I exchanged him for another snail. I had to take the last Petco snail before they unintentionally killed another one. But they are having a sale on certain fish, so I bought a couple of fish too. I also bought an albino catfish cory, but it didn't last the night, so it is going back today for another one.

All of the snails are getting along just fine in the small quarters. They range in size from 4 inches (another petco save from last week) to 1 1/4 inches.

I have a betta in another tank and he is rather aggressive. I originally had my first two snails in the tank with him and he would nip at them, so they were taken out.

I feed the snails betta food and they eat it up and what they don't eat floats to the bottom, which is why I bought the catfish.

Can the danio eat only betta food? I bought color enhancing tropical flakes when I bought the danio, but I can't tell if the fish eats it. This morning I saw it grab at a falling betta pellet, but I didn't see it eat the flakes even crumpled up. Or should I buy tropical pellets or crisps for him?

Thanks,
Valerie

ruky00o

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
But try to keep the danios or the neons in atleast groups of 6 or more so they will remain happy and may forget about nipping others fins

VRValicento

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
It seems he and my Chinese algae catfish have races all over the tank. Neither one sits still. I have a zebra cory catfish too. I had an albino one, but he died within 12 hours. There's nothing wrong with my tank, I had it tested, it was just the fish.

So there are 3 fish swimming around the tank. The neon and the chinese fish have little races. I know that chinese fish drives me nuts because he only sits still for 5 seconds.

I would have put the fish in with my Betta, but he is rather aggressive.

Thanks for the advice. If I get enough money to get another tank I'll do a big enough one to have snails and multiple fish.

Kunsthure

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Whoa whoa whoa, hold on. You have a glofish, a Chinese algae eater and five snails in a 2.5 gallon tank? The problem *is* the tank. Maybe the snails can live in it , but *no* fish can live in a 2.5 gallon tank. Danios need schools of at least 6 and they're so active that I wouldn't put them in anything less than a 20 gallon. The Chinese algae eater will become aggrssive as it matures. *All* of the animals died because they were in a totally unsuitable home. You must rehome all but the snails or upgrade that tank. Otherwise it's just cruel.

-Lisa

VRValicento

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I would put the fish in with the betta but he is aggressive. When I had 2 snails, which I got at the same time I got him, he attacked them. I didn't intend to buy the neon, but he was just too cute. I did intend to buy the catfish because the snails won't eat the food that falls to the bottom and I thought that they would.

The tank water was checked and it was fine. I keep a very good eye on the tank because it sits right in front of me. The fish that died was acting funny before I went to bed and since it hadn't moved all night I knew he had died.

This isn't the first time I have had fish or pets. It is the first time I have had these types of fish, but I had the same 5 fish for 10 years before they died of old age. All of my friends that had the same fish didn't keep them alive for that long.

I have so many snails because I was saving them from guaranteed death at Petco. I expected the last two I bought to be dead within days, but they are thriving. They are the only ones I bought from Petco and I only did it because they were the only ones alive amongst several others that were dead. One snail is 4 inches round and it is amazing how much it moves.

I do not plan on adding anything else. Like I said, I bought the catfish for the food that the snails didn't eat. The neon was unplanned. Today I finally bought food that he will eat. The food that was recommended when I bought him, he wouldn't touch. At least I know that he won't starve now.

If you are worried about a bio-overload, I do 10% water changes every other day if needed, and definitely 25% every week, if not more often. The filter is easily removed and cleaned or replaced if needed.

My snails also spend about 10 hours in a critter carrier for a calcium treatment because the calcium tablet makes everything white and I don't want to clean the entire tank every other day. Because of the calcium treatments they are growing and the cracks they did have are healing.

If I see the fish having problems I will remove them and put them in the carrier if necessary. I even have a filter for that.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads