zebras and leopards, girls and boys

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
i have 4 zebra danios and a leopard danio. now trying to figure out if i have girls and boys and whether i should be looking out for eggs and fry or not.

i'm fairly sure 2 of the zebras are girls as they are very big and fat.

i'm fairly sure the leopard is a boy as he's really small and thin (or maybe younger than the others? or are leopards typically smaller and thinner anyway?)

the other 2 zebras i cant decide as they are thinner than the fat 2, but fatter than the leopard. they are in-between.

also hindered by not knowing how old they are (not sure if all are fully grown yet), to try and compare them when they're dif ages could cloud judgement... and the fact i'm not experienced in any way at all and have no idea what i'm doing !!!

??? anyway, the question i hope you can help me with....which is probably a daft one for you to laugh at :-[, but i'll ask it anyway....
can zebras and leopards breed together? i initially seemed to think they wouldnt, but when i think about it they are just colour variants rather than species variants arent they which makes me think maybe they could? :-\

And.....i know guppies need more females to males with a 2:1 ratio i believe, to prevent harrassment and give the girls a break!! is the same true for danios? if so i'm gonna have to post some pics and see if anyone else can figure out what the 2 unsure ones are and confirm whether i have the other 3 right!

thanks
Tan

raptors_4

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure leopards can breed with eachother but the babies will be zebra. With my danios the females are the dominant fish so I wouldn't be concerned with the ratio. Also with breeding a danio with almost always breed with the same partner for life so if they were young when you got them chances are they will breed. Who knows what could happen if they were older.

tan.b

Well Known Member
Reaction score
thanks for your help! i havent noticed any dominancy or specific chasing...they just charge about randomly and its pure luck who they bump into! lets wait and see what happens!!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom