Zebra Snail

Status
Not open for further replies.

throwthesand

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I have a zebra snail living in a small fishbowl. He is alive, but he only opens his trapdoor halfway and hasn't moved for three days. I'm a little worried . Is that normal?

Nikita

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Maybe because he's in a bowl. Do you ever change out the water in the bowl (Like water changes)? If not, that could be your problem. The water conditions are usually poor when a snail won't come out like that. I would recommend moving him to a tank with a filter.

Nikita

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hmm, I've never really heard of this happening before. I'm not sure what it is, maybe someone can help you out.

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have many nerites (assuming that's what you mean by "zebra snail"). Is he new? Sometimes they don't always poke out right away.

I had a nerite with ghost shrimp and he wouldn't move either. I watched him carefully and saw that the ghost shrimp were nipping at him! I had put a decent-sized pond snail in earlier and he had died; putting two and two together, I think the ghost shrimp ate the pond snail and were doing the same thing to poor Mr Snail (aptly named). I moved him to a different tank and he's been a happy snail ever since.

Things to consider:

1. Water quality, like Nikita said. Do you have a test kit?
2. Temperature. They're not as picky as some fish, but they prefer water above 70 at the least.
3. Tankmates. Watch his fellow inhabitants: do they seem interested in him? Swimming around him? Pecking at him? He may be hiding because they're trying to nip his antennae.

However, given the information in your profile, I'd bet it's due to water quality.
1. Your 2.5 gallon tank is pretty overstocked. Platies need at least 10 gallons (I have a few myself, they produce a lot of waste and get pretty darn big), and inca snails produce a lot of waste for a snail, too.
2. Your 2.5 gallon tank has only been set up for a few days, so it isn't cycled.
3. Your 2.5 gallon tank does not have a filter.

I see that you are not familiar with the nitrogen cycle. I urge you to click on the underlined text in my previous sentence and read up on it. Understanding its concepts is critical to keeping happy fish. Unfortunately with so many fish/inverts in such a small tank, with no filter, things are likely to go sound pretty quickly. I highly recommend you upgrade as soon as you can. The betta is happy in his 10 gallon tank, but if you could purchase another 10 gallon, and make sure both are heated, filtered, and cycled, then you would have some happy fish, and I bet the snail would come out.

OP
throwthesand

throwthesand

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just took him out to put him in the big tank. but he didn't move. His trapdoor had deteriorated and he REEKED!!! Note to self: Never go to 6th and Clement, or they'll sell you two dead snails in a row!!!

kinezumi89

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeahhhh rule number one about snails, if it smells bad, it's dead I'm sorry.

I would definitely do a big water change. On top of the overstockedness and lack of a filter, you've had a dead snail in there for awhile and I know I wouldn't want to live in a cup with a dead snail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom