Zebra Nerites in a planted tank... How do they do with fertilizers?

1. B

BettaBoysGirl New Member Member

Well As you can see from my question above, Im wondering if plant fertliziers would harm my little baby algae cleaning snails. I keep them in a planted tank with 1-2 anubias nana, depending on the tank. I've been considering doing some aquascaping, which means, I must dive into the world of fertilizers and co2. Has anyone had bad dealings with plant fertilizer and their snail friends? Or any reccommendations for a good fertilizer that wont hurt them?

2. ZeeZ

ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

I've used Flourish Comprehensive with no problems for either snails or shrimp. A good way to check if the fertilizers you want to use will harm inverts is to see if they have copper in them.

3. OP
    OP
    B

BettaBoysGirl New Member Member

I've looked at Flourish and it does contain copper. Not much but it does. This is what I pulled from a site selling it.
    Guaranteed Analysis: Total Nitrogen 0.07%, Available Phosphate ( P2O5) 0.01%, Soluble Potash 0.37%, Calcium (Ca) 0.14%, Magnesium (Mg) 0.11%, Sulfur (S) 0.2773%, Boron (B) 0.009%, Chlorine (Cl) 1.15%, Cobalt (Co) 0.0004%, Copper (Cu) 0.0001%, Iron (Fe) 0.32%, Manganese (Mn) 0.0118%, Molybdenum (Mo) 0.0009%, Sodium (Na) 0.13%, Zinc (Zn) 0.0007%.

4. ZeeZ

ZeeZ Well Known Member Member

Well, a miniscule amount of copper won't hurt them. Larger doses will. If you're nervous about using Flourish, try a half dose and keep an eye on things for a while. If nothing happens, then go up to the full dosage.

In my years of fishkeeping, I haven't heard of Flourish being the responsible party of invert death.

5. c

catsma_97504 Fishlore Legend Member

Flourish is safe with inverts, but CO2 isn't because it drops the pH to a level that erodes the snail shell. Some carefully chosen shrimp may be fine with CO2, just research which ones.

6. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I am using Flora Pride as my plant fertilizer for plants not in the substrate and all of my snails, Nerites and Pond Snails are all doing very well.

I started with the pond snails and no issues. I recently added 6 Nerites and no problems with them either.

For plants in the substrate, I use SeaChem Flourish Tabs.

No mention of Copper in either fertilizer.

Ken

7. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

I have nerites in my 75 that I dose with all kinds of liquid fertz and they have no issues, copper is the real problem for inverts.