Zebra Nerite Snail; dead?

dfarni

I bought 2 Zebra Nerite snails yesterday, my first snails. I put them into qt, and they just kind of laid there. So I figured it would take them some time to get over the trauma of transport.

This morning I woke up and checked on them and sure enough one was stuck to the glass just under the water line. The other one however was upside down on the bottom of the tank... kind of bobbing in the water. I tried to flip him over, but he just rolled back. I am hoping I come home and he is attached to the glass too...

How can you tell if they are dead? They were both like that yesterday, but one is clearly still alive.

geminichick_90

you will smell it if it died

amber0107

I had a nerite I suspected was dead the other day, so I took it out and put it in a small cup with tank water and very quickly you could tell it was dead by the smell.

dfarni

Thanks! I'll check that out when I get off work today. I assume its a rotten/fishy smell?

amber0107

It's very distinctive. To be honest, I didn't notice it right away with my tiny nerite, but it wasn't in that cup long before I could smell it.

JRC3

Oh the smell of a dead snail is distinkive alright. Touch the foot or door...If alive it should close up tightly.

Expect little sesame seed eggs on the glass or decor at some point. They won't hatch and can be difficult to remove.

Hope the snail is OK.

midnamoondog

It is the worst smell. Ughhhh.

Tigress Hill

The best smell in the world... even getting skunked doesn't smell as nice (trust me, I've been there)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
leolee
Replies
Views
mlydeen
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views