Zebra nerite shell growing different pattern

Discussion in 'Snails' started by kidster9700, Jul 30, 2015.

1. kidster9700

kidster9700 Well Known Member Member

I don't really know how to describe it. Basically all the new shell growth since I added this nerite to my tank is not the same as previous growth. Also, why is it growing back all sheet-Like or something? My mystery snails have the same kind of sectioned off and not smooth shell growths.
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438237415.499545.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

Different water conditions between the different tanks the snail has been in changes the way the shell grows. All of my nerites have this difference as well.

3. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Really? Because I like the other pattern way more.... And what about like, the shell quality? It's easier to see on my black mystery snail. ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438238632.576347.jpg
    See how hers is layered? I have a nice, big piece of cuttlebone in the tank but maybe that's just not enough calcium.

4. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDD Well Known Member Member

From what I can see on the nerite, the quality looks fine. The mystery looks to have a crack in it tho... Could be maybe a fall or insufficient hardness...not sure

5. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Well it's like the new shell growth is not as raised? And even closer to the snails body you can see its growing layered. It's tough to see on the nerite, but right at the new shell pattern it's similar. Not as defined.
    The giant horizontal line on the black mystery could be a crack though, my mysteries like to snail dive the 20" height of my tank and there's some lava rock at the bottom.
    My water here is fairly hard, and there shouldn't be a calcium deficiency, but maybe I should start feeding them zucchini more often than once a week? My other two mystery snails shells aren't growing back smooth either.
    (This is my first time keeping snails in an aquarium so bear with me haha)

6. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

Try feeding leafy greens (spinach, kale, etc), they're high in calcium. I just started making snail jello for mine, I put powdered calcium carbonate in it for their shells.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

What do you mean "snail jello"? Like you have gelatin and mix it with powdered calcium?
    Also, could I just put straight powdered calcium in my tank? I don't think so... But I feel like I should ask just in case.
    I actually had my mom buy me a zucchini specifically for my snails because that's what everyone seems to be feeding theirs. I might have some spinach around, though.

8. Bijou88

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/showthread.php?t=201963 this is what I did, the snails went nuts for it. I wouldn't put just the calcium in, it would probably just cloud the water. A lot of people's snails like berry flavored tums too, about half of mine liked it, the other half not so much.

9. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Thanks! Could I swap out the baby food for just pure squash? Or is the baby food better?
    Also, what if I added some of my veggie wafers instead of the fish flakes? Then I wouldn't have to drop three in the tank. I could do the jello for snails and then just one veggie disc for the shrimp and ottos (once I have them)

10. Bijou88

You could do that, just make sure to blend the squash up really well so everything mixes smoothly (be careful of bubbles though). I liked the baby food because it's easy, it was under $1 for a two pack. I did a batch with ground up shrimp pellets instead of the flakes, they didn't like it as much though. If it's a decent quality flake food, that's good for the snails too, they like some meaty stuff like everyone else :)

11. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Well I have frozen bloodworms. I could probably blend those up. My wafers are super high quality, as are my shrimp pellets. But I'm not looking to feed my cories. I just wAnt to get a nice high calcium diet for my snails.

12. Bijou88

You just have to mix and match until you figure out what they like. Mine seem to prefer the mixes with green beans and spirulina over the squash ones. But they all seem to have different preferences. I also made a veggie version with no fish food of any kind.

13. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

What is your GH in your tank? That would directly effect the snails shell growth. Two of mine in my harder water tank look find but I have another one that was in my betta tank for awhile which is softer whose shell looks like your nerite and I thought it was cracked but maybe not.

Depending on your GH you could add in Replenish or some crushed coral if the cuttle bone isn't doing enough.

14. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Just bought some test strips to check my hardness. Looks like
    Nitrate 10-20
    Nitrite 0
    pH ~7.8
    KH 40?
    GH 0-30?
    I guess my tap water wasn't as hard as I though! I'm definitely going to need to add something for that...
    ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1438282620.486200.jpg
    Here's a photo of it in case you want to double check my readings.

15. CindiL

Ahh, ok. Yes, very low. I'd be worried about your ph crashing also with your KH that low. So, the easiest thing to help raise GH and KH both is to add some crushed coral to your filter in a mesh bag. Or limestone works, or aragonite substrate etc. It will slowly raise it and also buffer your water some.

16. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

My ph has been a steady 7.5-8 so I'm not worried about it crashing, but I just found out my house has like a water softener so that's problematic. Can I put the crushed coral in my fluval filter where the carbon and bio mesh bags would normally go? I don't know why not honestly.

17. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

That's where my coral is.

18. CindiL

Yeah, you sure can. Usually in a house there is a faucet that has hard water. Your other choice would be to mix in part hard or raw water and part soft. But I'd do whatever is easiest :) I just do the crushed coral in my filter. It will also serve as bio-media in addition to raising gh and kh. It dissolves very slowly so it works well in this other regard as well.

19. OP
    OP
    kidster9700

Do you buy the coral pre-crushed? Is that like a normal thing for pet stores to carry?

20. Geoff

Geoff Well Known Member Member

Got mine at PetSmart. It's with the substrate.

[​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice