Zebra nerite food advice?

Jbluewind

I'm wanting some advice on commercially avaliable food for my nerite snail (**** discount impulse buys -_- ). I noticed the wafers I have don't contain any calcium, so I want something more nutritionally complete. I tried to look online, but everything just says blanched vegetables and that's not something I can currently do*

Also, I would appreciate any advice including recommended amount and frequency of feedings.

I unfortunately don't know my kh or gh (tested it once months ago and can't recall and don't have that kit), but I do know...
5 gal (3.5 to 4 gal of water with the rest taken up by decor and filter)
pH 7.6 to 7.8 (right in the middle of API test kit!)
Ammonia: trace
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20 (understandable as I was unable to do my weekly water change due to health last week)
Temp 78-80° F
Light: low on timer (normally 6-8 hr per day, but increasing to 10 to encourage algae growth)
Inhabitant: six month old female betta (raised from fry)
Plants: healthy 6 month old anubius and java moss (looks good and green despite being a hitchhiker in a crack on a rock)
WC: 1/2 gal per week
Substrate: sand
Additives: Florish added every 1-2 weeks, tannins added every few weeks via almond leaf, and imagitarium betta water conditioner
Flltration: whisper filter of appropriate size with media (no carbon) and clay
Water is clear and algae growth is controlled (most of nutrition might be from given food)

* Not fish related: I'm disabled and limited in how much I can do every day, but I missed having fish. So while I can't handle big heavily planted well stocked tanks anymore, I decided that I can manage something simple. Despite how often I've ended up stuck in the bed, Ziggy is doing very well so far ^_^

Dunk2

I'm wanting some advice on commercially avaliable food for my nerite snail (**** discount impulse buys -_- ). I noticed the wafers I have don't contain any calcium, so I want something more nutritionally complete. I tried to look online, but everything just says blanched vegetables and that's not something I can currently do*

Also, I would appreciate any advice including recommended amount and frequency of feedings.

I unfortunately don't know my kh or gh (tested it once months ago and can't recall and don't have that kit), but I do know...
5 gal (3.5 to 4 gal of water with the rest taken up by decor and filter)
pH 7.6 to 7.8 (right in the middle of API test kit!)
Ammonia: trace
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20 (understandable as I was unable to do my weekly water change due to health last week)
Temp 78-80° F
Light: low on timer (normally 6-8 hr per day, but increasing to 10 to encourage algae growth)
Inhabitant: six month old female betta (raised from fry)
Plants: healthy 6 month old anubius and java moss (looks good and green despite being a hitchhiker in a crack on a rock)
WC: 1/2 gal per week
Substrate: sand
Additives: Florish added every 1-2 weeks, tannins added every few weeks via almond leaf, and imagitarium betta water conditioner
Flltration: whisper filter of appropriate size with media (no carbon) and clay
Water is clear and algae growth is controlled (most of nutrition might be from given food)

* Not fish related: I'm disabled and limited in how much I can do every day, but I missed having fish. So while I can't handle big heavily planted well stocked tanks anymore, I decided that I can manage something simple. Despite how often I've ended up stuck in the bed, Ziggy is doing very well so far ^_^
How long has your tank been running?

If your tank is somewhat well established, your Nerites may be more interested in algae than they are food of any sort.

I have around 15 or 20 Nerites in my 3 tanks (all well established). It’s very rare for me to see them eating any food, including blanched vegetables I feed the fish.

If your tank isn’t well established, I’d suggest algae wafers. If you also need a calcium supplement, you can just drop one of these in the water.
https://www.amazon.com/Penn-Plax-Natural-Cuttlebones-Pack/dp/B00GIEUO0I/ref=sr_1_5?crid=13NCK9EZ8N28V&keywords=cuttlebone&qid=1638500405&sprefix=Cuttle,aps,190&sr=8-5

Jbluewind

How long has your tank been running?

If your tank is somewhat well established, your Nerites may be more interested in algae than they are food of any sort.

I have around 15 or 20 Nerites in my 3 tanks (all well established). It’s very rare for me to see them eating any food, including blanched vegetables I feed the fish.

If your tank isn’t well established, I’d suggest algae wafers. If you also need a calcium supplement, you can just drop one of these in the water.
https://www.amazon.com/Penn-Plax-Natural-Cuttlebones-Pack/dp/B00GIEUO0I/ref=sr_1_5?crid=13NCK9EZ8N28V&keywords=cuttlebone&qid=1638500405&sprefix=Cuttle,aps,190&sr=8-5
Established and running 6 months, but I basically had very little algae growing in it due to care. I only have the 1 snail (no intention of getting more), but what WAS in there is gone already. Thus my questions on the best commercially avaliable foods for my particular snail's needs. There are a lot of fish foods out there and some that are good but only for bottom feeders WITHOUT shells. The brand I bought is good, but it lacks some of what he needs. There's also the whole thing of trying to figure out what exactly a good amount of food IS for a snail to avoid overfeeding (which according to my reading has negative effects on them I want to avoid... plus the extra poop).

My betta will also try to eat whatever I throw in (even if it's bigger than her), so I have to make sure it's safe for when she inevitably tries to eat it (everything goes in the mouth including algae wafers and sand, but at least she spits out things like sand).

I think I'd prefer a dietary calcium boost over adding calcium it to the tank because I worry about raising my pH too much or putting my gh in an unsafe range for my betta. I'm not opposed to adding anything to my water and entertained adding a handful of crushed coral for a bit, but I don't feel knowledgeable enough in this particular issue to mess with it without help and advice on what to expect given my current water parameters.

Edit: I hope that made sense! Worried I came off a bit like a rude **** when it's more like anxiety go AHHH!!!

FishDin

You could try cuttlebone for calcium. I've wanted to try it for my snails, but my LPSs only sell artificially flavored cuttlebone and I haven't gotten around to buying it online.

BTW, I have dozens of snails (Nerite, Pond, and Rams Horn) in 3 tanks and have never fed them.

dwilt

I give my nerites and mystery snails Hikari Crab Cuisine for calcium. They love it.

StarGirl

Try fresh veggies like zucchini, spinach or cucumber. Betta wont be interested and the only food item I have ever seen my Nerites on. I have 7 of them in my tanks.

Jbluewind

I give my nerites and mystery snails Hikari Crab Cuisine for calcium. They love it.
I'll look it up! ^_^

Try fresh veggies like zucchini, spinach or cucumber. Betta wont be interested and the only food item I have ever seen my Nerites on. I have 7 of them in my tanks.
Oh you underestimate my betta. It's less about picking foods a betta wont eat and more making sure that they wont make her sick when she eats them. See her swimming vertically under the intake of the filter to try to eat a Hikari algae wafer. She has also tried to eat plants, an almond leaf, and sand to name a few.

StarGirl

I'll look it up! ^_^

Oh you underestimate my betta. It's less about picking foods a betta wont eat and more making sure that they wont make her sick when she eats them. See her swimming vertically under the intake of the filter to try to eat a Hikari algae wafer. She has also tried to eat plants, an almond leaf, and sand to name a few.
Thats a algae wafer not a chunk of cucumber....lol Way different. My females were both gigantic pigs too. I know your pain.

Jbluewind

Thats a algae wafer not a chunk of cucumber....lol Way different. My females were both gigantic pigs too. I know your pain.
The odd part is that she ever EATS the wafer (or the sand). She just bites it and spits it out. I watched her do it about 10 minutes last night, alternating between algae wafer and sand.

StarGirl

The odd part is that she ever EATS the wafer (or the sand). She just bites it and spits it out. I watched her do it about 10 minutes last night, alternating between algae wafer and sand.
Yeah they are pretty thick some of them. My females were smart as whips, this male I have :confused:

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AquaBaby
Replies
Views
LeticiaM
Replies
Views
Dch48
Replies
Views