Zebra Nerite Cracks

1. Crissandra331 Member Member

Was thumbing through some of the articles on here and online after recently finding both my Nerite snail shells with cracks. They're not very deep everyone seems to be acting normal. But i've noticed some others on here had their shells crack not too long after getting them or just in general. I've had mine about 3 months. My pH is 7.4 . I'm assuming it has something to do with my hardness. I also don't add calcium, and I do not believe they are deprived of food. Should I be watching for them becoming less active and eventually die from these cracks?

2. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

I would say a combo of all of those things can cause shell deterioration/cracks.

My tank is around 8.0 - 8.2 ph, I add liquid calcium ( 5 ml 2 times a week Fluval brand ) and I also have a cuttlebone in my filter. That and I feed my snails zucchini.
    I have had my oldest Nerites for 2 + years with no signs of cracks, their shells are as smooth as glass. I've added more nerites in the last year ( Bumblebee horned nerites ) and have not noticed any cracks on them.

I would try and do all of the above if you can - shells are like fingernails and will regenerate in time :) but you need to make sure it doesn't get worse by adding calcium, watching ph, etc

3. Crissandra331 Member Member

Do you think just the addition of calcium would help? Cause i'd prefer not to higher my pH, due to the other fish I have in my tank. If not I may need to find them a more ideal environment :(

I've had Malaysian snails for few years and I've not ever noticed any issues with their shells? Is it because their better adapted to the softer water? Or do you think size plays a role? Well probably stretching it now, I'm sure your right about the water.

4. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

Clean egg shells in the filter help snail shells.

5. Junne Fishlore Legend Member

Yes, Calcium DOES help. Hard water helps as well as additional supplements be it from food ( calcium rich foods such as zucchini, broccoli, etc )
    MOST fish can adapt to higher ph levels if done slowly and just too high or too low in a short amount of time. That's when it becomes a problem.

6. Crissandra331 Member Member

Yeah I have plants also that I don't think would completely appreciate 8.0 pH. But good news I've had a spare 3 gallon cylinder got it filled up with fluorite & oriental fern, so maybe once I get that cycled that can be their new home? :)

7. psalm18.2 Fishlore Legend Member

I add repto calcium to my snail only tank. Plants grow fine and snails stay healthy. I noticed my well water deteriorating their shells.