Zebra Danios

Walter Kirby

Reaction score
Hi, I’m new to Fishlore and semi new to the aquarium process. I have had aquariums in the past, but all failed due to me not following the nitrogen cycle. However, before I bought a new tank a week ago, I looked into all the details about adding ammonia and waiting until ammonia and nitrites are at 0, while nitrates are up and doing a water change. Since my cycle is not done, I will not be adding fish. However, my tank is a 30 gallon long tank, clearly without any fish. I was wondering, when my cycle completes, can I add 8 zebra danios at once? I know they are hardy fish, so even after my cycle is complete, I want them to be my first fish in case of any mistakes. I also know they are a schooling fish that are better in larger numbers. Therefore, I wanted to know if adding all 8 at once is okay because they are relatively small, so I thought adding 8 of them would be the equivalent to adding 3/4 of other fish, i.e., platties. Thank you all so much.

mattgirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes you can. By dosing the tank up to 5 ppm you should have a large colony of bacteria. As you are getting closer to the completion of your cycle you could actually start dosing it up to a lower level and you should still not have a problem adding all 8 at the same time. I would think 2 or 3 ppm would be enough.

Cander

Valued Member
Reaction score
mattgirl said:
Yes you can. By dosing the tank up to 5 ppm you should have a large colony of bacteria. As you are getting closer to the completion of your cycle you could actually start dosing it up to a lower level and you should still not have a problem adding all 8 at the same time. I would think 2 or 3 ppm would be enough.
Along with what mattgirl said if your tank starts to take a long time to cycle lower the amount of ammonia I’ve seen people who have added to much and it slowed down the cycle

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom