Zebra Danios Not Eating. :(

ZebraFishLover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi. After I did a water change, 3 of my zebra danios stopped eating. It has been since yesterday that they started doing this. I did a water test a while back (6 in 1 easy strips tetra) and it said there was chlorine in the water, although I added a dechlorinator and let the water sit for 5 minutes. They seem healthy and active, (apart from not eating) They have never done this before and I have had them for ~3 months Their tank was not originally cycled but is cycled now. If you want parameters here they are (they might not be accurate) (6 in 1 easy strips) Nitrate =20, Nitrite = ~0.25, Total hardness (GH) is 300, Chlorine = 0, Alkalinity = 60, Ph 7.2. Please help me because I love my danios, and don't want them to die.

sloughdog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There shouldn’t be any nitrite if the tank is cycled. I would recommend an api master kit or at least get the ammonia test kit. I have a suspicion there is some ammonia present. In the meantime do you have anything like Prime to neutralize ammonia? If so, add it immediately.
Also, test your tap water. There could be something in the tap water causing the nitrites.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
They can go many days without eating... Like 14+ if they are healthy so don't worry too much yet.

What temp is your tank?
What do you feed and how much, how often?
What exactly is your water change process?
Have you tested the parameters of your tap water? If not please do and post them.
Which test strips do you use?

ZebraFishLover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
sfsamm said:
They can go many days without eating... Like 14+ if they are healthy so don't worry too much yet.

What temp is your tank?
Have you tested the parameters of your tap water? If not please do and post them.
I use tetra 6 in 1 easy strips..... Ill test my tap water.

I don't have prime. I have nothing to reduce ammonia. As for the nitrite in the tap water, it is 0
sloughdog said:
There shouldn’t be any nitrite if the tank is cycled. I would recommend an api master kit or at least get the ammonia test kit. I have a suspicion there is some ammonia present. In the meantime do you have anything like Prime to neutralize ammonia? If so, add it immediately.
Also, test your tap water. There could be something in the tap water causing the nitrites.

Jenoli42

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
ZebraFishLover said:
I don't have prime. I have nothing to reduce ammonia. As for the nitrite in the tap water, it is 0
i also suspect you have ammonia in your tank if you have nitrites. i highly recommend getting seachem prime and an API test kit for ammonia (the best value for money is the freshwater master test kit that tests for almost everything).

the way to detoxify ammonia and nitrites as long as both combined are less than 1ppm is by dosing prime. if you're over that level, then water changes are going to be your fish's best friend until the levels drop...

ZebraFishLover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have Tetra SafeStart Plus it says it reduces ammonia and nitrite. But I don't know the ammonia levels. Do you have a guess for what they are or do they have to be tested?

sfsamm said:

What temp is your tank?
My water change goes as followed: I fill up fish only buckets with tap water. I then add Dechlorinator, and let them sit for 10 minutes. I don't add detoxifiers/bacteria to the aquarium directly, (because one time 2 fish ate it an died) I add it to the replacement water and then add the water EX if I had to add easy balance, i wouldn't add it to the tank, I would add it to the bucket that I will pour into the tank as replacement water. Then I siphon the water, then I add the replacement water. And if I do my water change on schedule not an emergency one, I feed them some freeze dried bloodworms..

The temperature is 72 degrees f.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ZebraFishLover said:
I have Tetra SafeStart Plus it says it reduces ammonia and nitrite. But I don't know the ammonia levels. Do you have a guess for what they are or do they have to be tested?
Tss+ is a bacterial starter. You will still test positive for Ammonia and nitrIte.l when using it. Follow the dosing directions.

Cichlid101

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
ZebraFishLover said:
You are not able to guess what ammonia levels are. As with the above people, I recommend you pick up liquid tests, like the API master test kit. Test strips suck, and really are not accurate. Tetra safestart plus is a bacteria in a bottle product, and will kickstart the cycling of your tank. This basically means it will start the nitrogen cycle, bacteria turning ammonia into nitrite, and nitrite into nitrate. Nitrate is then take out by water changes. Add the tetra safe start, get a test kit, and monitor your cycle
Bad watet parameter are probably why the danios are not eating.

ZebraFishLover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
sfsamm said:
Tss+ is a bacterial starter. You will still test positive for Ammonia and nitrIte.l when using it. Follow the dosing directions.
So, are you saying that it will help or it will not?

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ZebraFishLover said:
So, are you saying that it will help or it will not?
It will help finish cycling the tank if it's not cycled yet... But if you've been dosing it in the tank it may be the reason for your readings.

ZebraFishLover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
sfsamm said:
It will help finish cycling the tank if it's not cycled yet... But if you've been dosing it in the tank it may be the reason for your readings.
If by dosing you mean adding into the water, That's what i've been doing.

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ZebraFishLover said:
If by dosing you mean adding into the water, That's what i've been doing.
Stop dosing, wait 2-3 days and test your tank. If your still reading Ammonia and nitrIte then you are not cycled.

Another note about strips... They don't really say 0, it's more of a it's at harmless levels in their eyes 0-.25 or it's above that and actions need taken.

So I know liquid test kit has been recommended it's a good idea for more accurate results. It's not vita. Readings under .25 aren't going to kill your fish and are unlikely to be why they aren't eating. BUT you don't know your Ammonia and that could be exponentially higher. At the very least get something to test Ammonia and then monitor the tank.

I'm not sure how best to advise when we don't have full parameters and half my previous questions weren't answered.

Realistically, danios are hardy... People don't always have the ability to purchase what mass insists they have and what we need to help. So... If you are not going to purchase anything and you're concerned about the fish. Start doing 30% water changes every day, feed very very lightly, keep lights off except when you are home AND viewing the tank. Dip another strip each week and when you see 0 (or what you are confident as 0) nitrIte test daily for 3-4 days to be sure and then start weekly rather than daily maintenance. It may take a week, it might take 8 weeks but then you'll know it's cycled.

ZebraFishLover

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Cichlid101 said:
Just wondering, what size tank are they in

Sent from my VS501 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app
It is a 29 gallon tank. I'm sorry but, I did a water change before reading, and added tss+ to the water.

I did what the tetra app said (i know don't scold me) And they seem happier I will update you. If they become fine again, I will go back to normal procedures. I am willing to buy things, but I don't have enough money till Friday. What should I buy?

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
ZebraFishLover said:
It is a 29 gallon tank. I'm sorry but, I did a water change before reading, and added tss+ to the water.
From now on when you add TetraSafeStart, add it to the back of the filter so it immediately goes through your filter media. You want it to attach there and start multiplying in your filter.

Zebras are very hardy. Good luck!

sfsamm

Well Known Member
Reaction score
ZebraFishLover said:
I did what the tetra app said (i know don't scold me) And they seem happier I will update you. If they become fine again, I will go back to normal procedures. I am willing to buy things, but I don't have enough money till Friday. What should I buy?
No scolding necessary. There's lots of ways to accomplish the same goal in this hobby! Just follow through with what you start entirely and taking reference from tetra as to how you use their products is a good idea!

Like hunter said adding it directly into the filter can often help get things going also.

Hunter1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Buy SeaChem Prime and use it as your declorinator. The 750 mil liter bottle last me 3-4 months doing 1-2 water changes a week on 6 tanks.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom