Zebra danios got a little bit of red in there gill. Help?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Farfour, Nov 25, 2012.

1. FarfourNew MemberMember

I have 10 zebra danios in my tank I'm 1 week into the cycling process. I did 20% water change yesterday. I have 37 gallon tank. What may it be ?

2. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

Did you use Tetra Safe Start? If yes, you are not supposed to change water. If no, you should change water every day and you may want to change a large percentage of the water. The red gills are probably from ammonia poisoning, since you are only one week into the cycling. I would try to change water every day, and try to change closer to 50% if possible. Also use Prime as the water conditioner and add enough for whole tank volume whenever you change water - that will protect your fish from ammonia for 24 hours. Danios are hardy, and thus may well recover from some ammonia poisoning, however even among danios some may die from ammonia poisoning as well (not all danios survive cycling with fish). Fishless cycling is safer than fish in cycling. If you do not want to do daily water changes, I believe you could still get Tetra Safe Start. Alternatively you could buy an active filter from angelsplus.com. Fish in cycling without TSS or without an active filter requires daily effort to keep fish safe.

3. OP
    OP
    F

FarfourNew MemberMember

The stuff I used is aqua safe plus. Is that the right stuff? And if I add that I'm not supposed to do water change. And thanks for the tips might have too do those 50% change

4. aylad

ayladWell Known MemberMember

AquaSafe and SafeStart are completely different. You need to either go out and buy a bottle of SafeStart (and search the forums for tips on how to use it) or else do massive water changes with AquaSafe (or Prime, which is MUCH better) *every day* until your tank is cycled.

5. skjl47Valued MemberMember

Hello; Here is a link to a long article about nitrogen and cycling. It is an involved read. I think your question is addressed.

6. JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

All aqua safe plus does is to neutralize the chlorine or chloramine which your municipality adds to tap water to kill bacteria, which is good for us humans, but bad for cycling an aquarium where we want to grow beneficial bacteria, and chlorine or chloramine kill all bacteria whether good or bad.

Aqua safe plus does not do anything to protect fish from ammonia. However a massive daily water change still is an effective way of reducing ammonia and nitrites in the water. But if you are using aqua safe plus it will not detoxify the ammonia, so I think you need a very large daily water change to dilute the water enough.

If you had prime as your water conditioner instead of aqua safe plus, prime would do what aqua safe plus does but in addition it would also keep your fish safe from ammonia and nitrites for 24 hours. You would still need daily water changes, but perhaps not quite as massive as needed with aqua safe start because with prime the diluting of the water with fresh water would no longer be your only way of reducing the effects of ammonia on fish.

If you buy Tetra Safe Start however, you could pour the entire bottle in after thoroughly shaking it, and then not change the water at all for two weeks, UNLESS your fish show distress and thus your observations indicate that the Safe Start is not working (which does happen), and then you would start doing the daily water changes after all to protect the fish.

7. OP
    OP
    F

FarfourNew MemberMember

Thanks all for the info I appreciate it and will try out some of those solutions

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice