Zebra Danios fa.

1. A

ASquidabs0727 Well Known Member Member

I own two zebra danios and they are currently housed in a fish bowl approximately 1 gallon. I know this is awful because of ammonia spikes however I clean it every other day. Please do not comment me to get a new tank because I am saving up for that and can't buy it yet. I'm not completely sure on their gender but I guessed. My two zebra danios are getting fat. The first danio I thought was pregnant but it hasn't laid eggs for the past around 3-4 months she has been fat for a little longer than that. The other one I thought was a male but is also almost the same size as the so I thought pregnant one. They eat and swim fine so I don't think it's a internal parasite. It's not dropsy because their scales aren't poking out like a pine cone at all. I don't think it's swim bladder because like I said they swim fine. I'm really worried and was wondering why they are getting so fat. I don't think it's constipation or over feeding either because I see poop every time I clean the bowl and I'm careful not to over feed. This is urgent. What can I do in the mean time until I get a new tank?

P.s I would post a photo of them, but I'm not sure how yet as I just joined this forum.

2. Dovah

Dovah Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fish Lore.

How much and what do you feed your danios in your 1 gallon tank?

You ask us what you think is wrong while also asking us not to comment on your tank situation which is extremely hard if you're looking for an honest answer.

Just saying.

3. Five 97

Five 97 Well Known Member Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    your danio/s are most likely gravid...they probably did lay eggs you just never saw them because they get eaten if not in a special breeding setup, plus the eggs are teeny, and therefore hard to see. I'd leave them alone.....
    just for future reference, what size tank are planning on? they need 20g min, and need to be in groups of 6+.

4. el337

el337 Fishlore Legend Member

5. OP
    OP
    A

Thank you for the responses. I feed them a pinch once every day. It turns out the one I thought was pregnant was and laid eggs. The mom died the next day after laying the eggs. RIP. It's been about a month since that happened and the dad is almost the size as if it was a female. I think it is a female because the eggs never hatched. Im guessing the fish I thought was a male was a female so the eggs were never fertilized. She (/he?) is fat but not anything too concerning, about the width of a small pea. What's concerning me now is the scales near his belly are not smooth as it was before. I don't think it's dropsy though because it doesn't look like a pincone and its only on the lower side of him. No other symptoms points to dropsy. He still has a appetite. Why aren't his scales smooth? Thank you

6. OP
    OP
    A

Also why do they need to be in such big groups

7. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

I can't answer the scales question, maybe a picture would help.
    As far as needing bigger groups they are a schooling fish and feel more secure in a school, aka group of at least six, fish of the same type.

8. OP
    OP
    A

Goldfish

I have 3 common goldfish in a 10 gallon tank. I just did a water change a couple days ago. However on of the goldfish has black on his sides. It doesn't look like ammonia burn but like a bruise. Nothing's wrong with his fins or anything like that. Could this be internal bleeding?

9. OP
    OP
    A

And for the zebra danio I will get to posting a picture as soon as I get home

10. el337

How long have you had them? Do you have a picture? What are your water parameters?

I'm sorry but common goldfish do not belong in a 10g tank. They grow well over a foot long and will not live very long if you keep them in there. They do best in a pond. I encourage you to research your fish before purchasing them.

11. OP
    OP
    A

12. el337

Test strips are not very accurate. I'd get the liquid tests for all the parameters. Do you have a pH test?

Unfortunately, a 30g won't be sufficient either. They'll need at least a 180+ gal tank or a pond.

13. OP
    OP
    A

I can't upload a photo because I'm not on a laptop. The best thing I can do is describe it. The black is very faint and could be the shadow of his fin. But it's best to be safe than sorry. It's on all three of them now. I'm not sure if it was always on them because I was focused on the one that I noticed. I don't think it is internal bleeding what are other symptoms of internal bleeding or nitrate poisoning?

14. OP
    OP
    A

I have a ph on the test strips it is between 6.8 and 7.2. The fish are onto about 1-2 inches so a 30 gallon will have to do. The liquids are expensive so after I get new tanks I will start saving up for those

15. OP
    OP
    A

As for the zebra danio the scales look different on the bottom half of him. He is fat so maybe the skin is being stretched causing the scales to look different. The only way I could describe it to you is that you can see the different columns of scales. Is that bad? What should I do about the fatness?

16. el337

How often and how large are the water changes that you're doing on these tanks?

I'm sorry but you are going to struggle with keeping the water parameters stable for both esp if you don't have filters on them either. These fish are obviously getting sick because of the sizes of the tanks they're in and the water conditions. I know it's not what you want to hear but rehoming them now is their best shot at hopefully living healthy lives. They're not going to thrive in that tank and bowl.

17. OP
    OP
    A

Okay thank you. Getting tanks soon. I do 75% water changes every other week on the tank which had a filter. On the bowl I do it every other day 100% water changes. What are symptoms of internal bleeding and nitrate poisoning?

18. el337

Every other week on the goldfish tank? I'd think it should be at least every other day.

I don't know what the symptoms are but if that's what you're suspecting, I'd be doing daily water changes.

19. Aquaphobia

Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

If you can't afford a bigger tank right away how about a plastic storage bin? That would help immensely with your parameters and the fish won't be under so much stress and therefore be less prone to illness:)

20. OP
    OP
    A

Okay thanks but I will have enough money be Wednesday