Zebra Danios and Ramshorn Snails!??

Discussion in 'Snails' started by mepling, Dec 19, 2012.

1. m

mepling New Member Member

Hi. I have a tropical tank with one male Betta and three Zebra Danios. I recently put 13 ramshorn snails in there to breed for my GSP (in seperate tank). My problem is, I have started seeing egg batches all around the tank and the first couple have hatched and they are now seemingly gone! I cant see any little snails anywhere. Do you think my zebra danios could have eaten them? If so.. do I have any chance of breeding snails in this tank?

2. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

These snails start out very small, so they may be hidden. Even your Betta may get curious if he sees one. Danios are very active fish and are always searching the tank. They may have eaten the eggs or juvie snails.

3. OP
    OP
    m

Aah. Thanks. I hope they dont eat too many of them, I have a green spotted puffer that needs them. :)

4. m

mosaicguppy Well Known Member Member

I agree, the baby snails are very small at first. I've seen some eggs hatch once and the babies were clear like the eggs and very small so they may be hard to find. Usually the eggs I get hatch without me noticing and I have a bunch of new snails appearing after a few weeks. :)

5. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

The more plants amd caves you have, the more you will get. My ramshorns are barely visible whem they first come out of the egg "sac".

You should post a video of your puffer eating snails.

Edit: Please!

6. OP
    OP
    m

ok. I will post a video, lol. As soon as I get some snails big enough for him to eat.

7. s

skjl47 Valued Member Member

hello; I have kept zebras and ramshorn snails together for decades. I have had large populations of the snails develop in the presence of these fish. Give it some time and perhaps a bit of extra food. The increase of a snail population seems often related to overfeeding. The snails will graze on algae to some extent as well.

8. OP
    OP
    m

9. OP
    OP
    m

Poor quality.. sorry. I will do another one, learning a new cammera.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice