Zebra danios and Glofish Danios

PlantZombie

Hey fishlore! Questions about breeding. Ive read in certian places that its against the rules to breed and re-sell glofish. But what happens if the glofish is female and the zebrafish danio is male? Will I end up with more zebrafish? Or something else? And am I venturing into a dangerous territory with the glofish being involved?

Wouldratherwatchaquarium

Hi

Something tells me a zebra and glo danio wouldn't breed but I could be wrong! No idea what would come out of it.

Upvote 0

SamMe

A glofish danio is a genetically modified danio, so there is no reason I know of that it wouldn't breed with a regular danio. I don't know about legalalites, but YorkTown Technologies has the patent and trademark on the glofish and I personally wouldn't want to chance it.

Upvote 0

mimo91088

They're the same fish so they'll readily breed with each other. I'm not studied up on the specifics of the genes involved (recessive, codominant etc.) , so I'm not sure what percentage if any fry would come out as glo danios.

Upvote 0

PlantZombie

A glofish danio is a genetically modified danio, so there is no reason I know of that it wouldn't breed with a regular danio. I don't know about legalalites, but YorkTown Technologies has the patent and trademark on the glofish and I personally wouldn't want to chance it.
Yes while i was looking for the answer in a google search, it explained to me that your not alloud to resell the glofish. But I wasnt sure if just breeding for fun is different. Dangit glofish! Your ruining everything! Lol

Upvote 0

JPH1970

Yes while i was looking for the answer in a google search, it explained to me that your not alloud to resell the glofish. But I wasnt sure if just breeding for fun is different. Dangit glofish! Your ruining everything! Lol
The glofish company can't stop you breeding glofish for fun. In other words, there's no way possible for them to stop glofish from breeding in your tank. You buy a female glofish and you buy a male glofish, chances are they will breed in the tank you put them in.

If they wanted to stop that from happening, then they could either genetically prevent them from breeding or they teach them abstinence

Upvote 0

PlantZombie

I suppose that would be possible to do? Thank you! I really like these danios, my mother lives with me and she enjoys talking to them from time to time lol. The tank they are in is really not fit for breeding, but i was curious about what I had read. Since not many LFS near me seem to cary them, the curiosity door opened, I guess.

Upvote 0

yeti79

They can breed together. Most likely to get natural variation. Leopard danios are also the same species. If you wanted to try to breed a red danio with the leopard pattern and long fins you could. You can breed and give away all the glofish you want just can't sell them.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
FishDin
Replies
Views
LowConductivity