Zebra Danio with Red Gill

SavannaElizabeth

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just got a new 29 gallon tank for my birthday from my boyfriend. I previously had a ten gallon tank, and we just transferred everything over today. I have two Zebra Danios, a goldfish, three Cory Cats, and two Mollies. The other fish adjusted fine, but one of the danios started acting odd. It has red in it's gills, and I'm not sure what is wrong. I put all the start up chemicals in the tank (I use the Tetra Care brand), and I have a plastic tree, a Spongebob house, various plants, a live plant bulb, and about 25 pounds of gravel in the tank. I've had these fish for about a year to six months, but I've had the danios for a year.

AshWolFF

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The ammonia is probably too high.

Perhaps you added too many fish at one time and spiked the ammonia. It also takes about 6 weeks for a tank to cycle so it's going to go through that.

Red gills, red dots etc is all a sign of ammonia burns. You might want to consider getting rid of the Goldfish who doesn't belong in a tropical fish tank but in colder waters in a preferably larger tank.

Look into Seachem Prime and a test kit.

SavannaElizabeth

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thank you! The people at the aquarium store I usually go to said the goldfish should be fine, but I wasn't for sure. What brand of test kit is best? I've not had a problem with ammonia before, so this is kinda new for me.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom