Zebra Danio With Dropsy! Help Please! :(

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by FishWhishes, Apr 9, 2017.

1. FishWhishes

FishWhishes New Member Member

Hello everyone! I'm new here. I signed up just a few moments ago to ask this question.

So, I have a 10 gal tank with 3 neons, 4 zebras, and a pepper cat. Everyone seems to be doing okay except for one of my female zebra danios. I'm worried she has dropsy. :( She's bloated (not in the 'full of eggs' kind of way. I know what that looks like.), she stays near the bottom of the tank, only eats a little, has peeling/cloudy skin on her stomach, and has little brownish/red spots on her stomach. I've heard that you should euthanize fish with 'full-blown dropsy'. Does she have 'full-blown dropsy' or is there a way to cure her? I do have a QT if necessary.

If there's any more info you guys need I'll try to provide it.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Zerologist

Zerologist Well Known Member Member

Welcome to Fishlore! I think you better quarantine her first and observe. Hope she gets well soon... :(

For other members: Please add more advice on what to do. Thanks.

3. OP
    OP
    FishWhishes

Okay thank you, I'll do that. Maybe then It'll be easier to get some pictures of her.

Okay so I put her in a QT and she seems to be swimming around okay. She looks pretty active compared to when she was in the 10 gal. Here's a pic of her.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2017
  4. Zerologist

Are the scales and eyes actually protruding?

If it is full-blown dropsy, there is no more hope. Euthanizing is the only option.

By the way, what did you use to catch her from the other tank? Do not use the net/thing that you used to catch her to catch other fishes as it is contagious.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2017
  5. OP
    OP
    FishWhishes

Her eyes look perfectly normal, but I'm not sure about the scales. What would that look like? Sorry none of my fish have ever had dropsy so I don't really know how to deal with this.

As for the net, I did use my regular net (I haven't used it since I used it on her though). I didn't even think about the whole contagious thing! Thanks for warning me! I've been meaning to get a new net anyway so this is just the extra push.

I'm also concerned because she doesn't seem to want to eat. She just ignores the food. :(

6. OP
    OP
    FishWhishes

Today I was online looking at Maracyn 2. I was just about to order it but I went to go check on her first. I found her dead. :( I took her out with the used net and buried her outside.

Thanks for all your help Psalm 23.

7. Zerologist

Well.... that's so sad to hear.. :(
    Having fish dying will always be happening and be experienced by aquarists... But if the same thing happens again (which I wish that will not happen) you should already know what to do.

So be prepared all the time. :)

I am just helping out other people here as they also help me. :)

If you have any other questions and you need help, all your Fishlore friends here are always ready to help! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice