Zebra Danio Vs Goldfish

Discussion in 'Zebra Danio' started by 2211Nighthawk, Apr 15, 2018.

1. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

they are JERKS!!! my goldfish Jupitor's fins were shredded, i thought it was sudden fin rot but its the danios!! there's a big one (i think female) that's pecking at his fins now and she's chasing the other danios away just so that SHE can chow down on Jupe's fins!! Little twit!!

the problem is, the reason i have zebras is because i have a very illegal white cloud mountain minnow that the pet store was gonna flush and he schools with the danios. NOW what the heck do i do cause the danios are SO going back to the store but then the WCMM is gonna be all alone. Or i have to eauthanise him. (which i really really don't want to do)

2. david1978

david1978 Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds like it new tank time. Lol

3. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

Wow, jailable offence. :eek:
    (I remember the original post)

I take it another tank for just the danios + minnow is not an option?

4. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

Tbh.... the minnow might be fine on its own. You're providing it a home instead of euthanizing it, which makes up for not having a school. And I've kept tetras alone after the school dies off, and they do fine.

5. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

I wish I could have another tank but I already have three plus a snail/shrimp jar I wanna try.
    Ugh! The little brat! My big poor guy with his tattered fins.

C98D2C9C-6387-42B0-A4F8-CCCAC054DB58.png CEA9AA33-17E5-4110-8271-C6452B0E4FBD.png

6. penguin02

Poor guy!! What if you remove the aggressive female and add some more danios to displace the aggression?

7. Kesh88

Kesh88 Valued Member Member

Could you try another type of minnow or a non nippy small tetra? Even some plain looking bait guppies could work, although your goldy might eat them!

8. tunafax

tunafax Well Known Member Member

HOLY FISH that huge goldie took some serious damage. Wow danios....

9. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

I don’t know if she’s the only one doing it. She’s the main one, but she also chases the others off when they try and have a snack.

The big guy is a coward! I can’t belive how many guppy fry I pulled out of that tank that he had or eaten when the females had fry. I might try that though, I did want to get guppies again at some point.

RIGHT?!?! That’s why I thought fin rot or he’d gotten stuck under a rock/between the tank and filter intakes/ stuck in a pot ect ect. Never even crossed my mind that it was the danios. My parameters are constantly 0-0-20/40ish so I just did NOT know what was going on.

10. penguin02

I hope you can get this resolved. :( I really can't see a solution besides getting a new tank or new fish.

11. scarface

scarface Fishlore VIP Member

I'm honestly surprised the big guy didn't eat the danios. He looks like an aircraft carrier.

I didn't know danios had teeth.

12. OP
    OP
    2211Nighthawk

I’m surprised too. But I’ve found guppy fry in with him. He’s probably over 6” by now so he’s a pig alright. But never even nipped a fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice