Zebra danio unmotivated

Jblair21

Reaction score
Hey, so i got 4 zebra danios to cycle my 125 gallon and have been monitoring ammonia every day and am still at 0 after 5 days..although this is not my concern. My concern is that one of my zebra danios stays in one corner of the tank and he will move around in that corner sometimes but he mostly just stays floating in one place and rarely leaves. Is this a problem i should be concerned with? I feel like a bad fish parent that he isnt motivated to do anything.

Noroomforshoe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Danios will be stressed when they are not in a school of 8+
You have only 4 of them, they probably tail chased and picked on the weakest one.
Have you done a fish in cycle before? In such a large tank, It may take months to cycle with just the danios. I suggest you return them and do a fishless cycle, it will be faster and easier. Or do you or a freind have any used filter media from a cycled tank that you can add?

Madchild57

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Jblair21 said:
Hey, so i got 4 zebra danios to cycle my 125 gallon and have been monitoring ammonia every day and am still at 0 after 5 days..although this is not my concern. My concern is that one of my zebra danios stays in one corner of the tank and he will move around in that corner sometimes but he mostly just stays floating in one place and rarely leaves. Is this a problem i should be concerned with? I feel like a bad fish parent that he isnt motivated to do anything.
If he's doing it consistently since you got him, he might just be a weak fish. It happened to me when I got several platys a while ago. One of them just sat in a corner all the time until he died. Nothing infectous, just bad genes I guess.

It could also be school size but its odd only one is acting this way.

Greenfungaloo

Reaction score
Its probably 3 things
1. The fish is weak/runt and is picked on
2. Not used to the new huge tank, and is more somfortable there
3. You have a pretty small number of fish, and well, the schools should be 8+

OP
J

Jblair21

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, ill visit my lfs and get 4-8 more danios and see if it helps. I let my lfs reccommend alot to me since it is my first tank and remember questioning if 4 small danios was enough for the big tank.

New Threads