Zebra Danio Sex Determination: Genetics

1. Elvishswimmer Member Member

I don't know about you guys, but this is big news to me!

I was talking to a professor the other day about doing some summer research. I'm an undergrad specializing (aka Honours degree) in Molecular Genetics.

Anyways, one of this profs research is in Sex Determination in the nematode C. elegans. And so he was telling me all about his research, and background and stuff and it was extremely interesting! I really hope I can get a summer job with him this summer.
    But anyways, they have found that something that would apparently be conserved in all life forms like sex determination is actually highly variable, even in species that are close evolutionary relatives.

He then went to explain mechanisms in a bunch of different species, and he mention about how Zebrafish's (which are a very common genetic model) sex determination is completely unknown! There have been a few discoveries, but nothing that definitively ties it all together.

So despite males and females looking very different phenotypically, they can't find anything that makes them genotypically different.

Isn't that crazy? It blew my mind! Maybe I'm just a nerd.:party0004:

2. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

um can you translate that to highschool langage please... lol

3. navyscuba Well Known Member Member

Wow. I just look at mine and females are bigger in size.

4. jgon_ Well Known Member Member

One thing I work on is sexual disruption of zebrafish embryos from environmental contaminants knowns as endocrine disruptors...causes intersex, skewed sex ratios etc.. Its a really cool field.

Hope you get into the lab, yay science!

5. Elvishswimmer Member Member

That's so cool!

I hope I get in too.