Zebra Danio (round belly)

Theatetus

Hello!
I'm new to this forum - so firstly thank you for having me.
I have a newly-ish setup tank and have zebra danios.
I've kept a Fan-tail Goldfish for the past 10-11 years. She recently passed away in January of what I expect to be old age. I had her tank (still full of water) sitting idle for about a month and then I decided I would like to have a different type of fish - so I picked Zebra Danios. I ran the tank and got some fish about a month ago (3 to start) and then I added 3 more yesterday.

I have a 20-gallon long tank with gravel/sand substrate, heated to 22 degrees C. I had my water tested at my local pet shop and they said my nitrates were high - I bought an at-home liquid test and have been doing daily 20% water changes. Presently my nitrates read at a 20 on the scale - I believe this is in ppm - but I could be wrong. The pet store didn't mention anything about ammonia (or other issues) but I know it is part of the nitrate cycle. All my other fish seem to be doing great.

One of my Zebra danios, I call them Big Fred has always been a little bigger and rounder than the tankmates. I thought it was because it may have been a female. I noticed today that their belly is very round in comparison to the other fish. Big Fred is not having trouble swimming, is active (the leader of the group tbh), and very very food aggressive.
I feed them Fluval bug bites once a day (just a pinch) and try to portion it out throughout the tank. Big Fred will zoom from one end to another attempting to snatch it all up.

I'm wondering if perhaps Big Fred is a female and has a roe that she's waiting to drop or if it is something more serious like dropsy or a parasite?

I've attempted to take pictures of Big Fred but in true form, they're temperamental and refuse to stay still. so I apologize for the blurry-ness
Thats probably the best picture ive been able to get.

Any help is greatly appreciated

Attachments

• 20210324_202544.jpg
    20210324_202544.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210324_202736.jpg
    20210324_202736.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210324_202935.jpg
    20210324_202935.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210324_210716.jpg
    20210324_210716.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 15

BigManAquatics

I can't tell for sure, but i don't see pineconing of the scales, which would be a good indicator of dropsy. Has the fish been pooping? Or maybe try fasting it a few days?

Upvote 0

Theatetus

I don't see any pineconing on their gills.
I cant honestly say for sure that they've pooped - the Zebras are so much smaller than I'm accustomed to in comparison to my old Goldfish.

I may try giving Big Fred a blanched pea and then fasting for a few days to see if that would fix it.

Or they could honestly just be fat ( i hope its that simple)

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BrookeB
Replies
Views
JustKeepSwimmingFishy
Replies
Views
D0c
Replies