Zebra Danio Help, Lethargic, Sitting On Bottom Of Tank

BPP

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi,

I need some help figuring out what is happening to my zebra danios. I've had 5 of them in a 20 gallon tank since last October. It is cycled, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 20, ph 7.8, water temp 71. They are in a tank with two goldfish, who have been in there since September. I know the tank will be overstocked, and the goldfish are going to be moved to the bigger tank soon. I am monitoring all the water parameters.

Now the danios used to be very active, chasing each other and ADD crazy up until a couple weeks ago. I don't know what happened but one stopped eating, became lethargic and would hide on the bottom of the tank. Then another started doing it. Over the last week the 3 out of 5 became lethargic and would only eat to varying degrees. I've tried different types of food, added garlic guard, am doing water changes almost daily. This is a planted tank and there is a piece of driftwood that the 3 danios hide under. 2 danios seem to be unaffected. They eat and chase each other.

Any ideas what could be happening to the other 3? Are they just dying? Should I move them to a hospital tank or leave them?

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Welcome to Fishlore sorry your first post is about a problem, hope our members can help you today

jay3

Valued Member
Reaction score
I would try not to keep goldfish with danios. Goldfish produce quite a bit of waste. However, they could just be dying or something could’ve stressed them out.
As long as you haven’t introduced anything recently and the tank parameters are stable, I would probably just leave them in there. Make sure to check for bodies though. Good luck!

BPP

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks for the response! Unfortunately, the two zebra danios in question have died. I think it might have just been their time. I've kept the danios and goldfish together for 8 months without issues and water parameters are in the normal range. I don't think it had anything to do with that.

I think everything is back to normal now though. Rest of the danios are thriving and all the fish are back to usual behavior. Everyone is eating and alert!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom