Zebra Danio Glofish Constipation?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by fishnewbie33, Apr 17, 2017.

1. f

fishnewbie33 Well Known Member Member

Hoping this is just constipation...better than the alternatives I researched . These are the best pics I could get.

Originally I thought it was only on 1 side, but not seems to be equally on both sides. This appeared very quickly. I don't see any pineconeing.

5 gal planted/filtered tank. A/Ni=0, Na=10-20, pH=6.4-6.5 72-73 degrees. Fish behaving normally.

If constipation, can I try the pea today or don't feed 2-3 days first?

tmp_31920-_20170417_181636-21313991.JPG tmp_31920-_20170417_181613753883392.JPG tmp_31920-_20170417_1817192003832474.JPG

2. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

I would hold off on feeding for awhile, put it in a qt tank so it can't nibble at the plants either.

3. OP
    OP
    f

The 5 gal is a QT. I have no other tanks t put the plants in and don't want to add them to another tank if this is anything contagious.

4. APierce

If it is java moss you can literally put it in an old ice cream container or something similar and it will be fine for quite some time :)

5. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

The danio shouldn't try to eat the moss. I would fast for a few days as well, though this looks like something more than just overfeeding.

6. OP
    OP
    f

What else could it be? Anything treatable? I did another water change last night.

7. NavigatorBlack

NavigatorBlack Fishlore VIP Member

It is very unevenly shaped, whatever it is. I haven't seen that one before, and it is not the right place or shape for either overfeeding or egg binding. It could be an internal growth of some sort. It does not look good.

There is no treatment I can think of, since I can't even make a solid guess at the problem.

8. TexasDomer

I was going to suggest tumor as well.

9. OP
    OP
    f

10. TexasDomer

Could be, but it would be unlikely compared to a tumor, I would think

11. NavigatorBlack

The only other thing I can think of could be massive tapeworms, but I don't think so. If it moves around or changes shape, maybe. Then I would use Prazi-pro.
    But that's suggesting a fair expense for a random (and probably wrong) guess from a guy looking at a picture online. I have had fish with internal parasites, but that is Alien sized.

12. APierce

I think we might be able to get a better idea on what it is when the poor fish has fasted for a few days...that was my thought process at least. I've seen stomachs big before, but not quite that big? Hopefully it is just a small tumor that looks HUGE because it is stuffed with food :(

13. TexasDomer

There are some parasites that cause this large and distended look (a particular genus of tapeworms in sticklebacks is the one I'm familiar with), but it's unlikely to have infected this danio. Tapeworms life cycles usually involve snails, and the snails that would be infected are unlikely to be in an aquarium; if you put wild snails in your tanks, I would still not expect the fish to be infected due to the incompatibility between the parasite and the fish (as unless you're keeping native fish with the wild snail, it's unlikely you'll get an infection due to host-parasite specificity).

14. OP
    OP
    f

I think I have some PraziPro. At this point, I'll try that if it's not contraindicated with the presenting symptoms?

15. OP
    OP
    f

16. NavigatorBlack

Most of the time when fish here have had gutworms, they have come from the wild, and the treatments were done within a week or two of arrival because of emaciation, not swelling. I have had affected tank bred fish from unknown life histories.
    Not a lot is farther from nature than a glofish.
    I'd say it's 10 to 1 that it is a growth, and the 1 is on the table because we want it to be something treatable. Prazi has never hurt any fish here, and it has worked on all non nematode gut worms. But I think it is a reach - I would wait and watch.

17. NavigatorBlack

Paraguard is for external parasites - totally useless here.

18. TexasDomer

And PraziPro might not help much, as even if it is tapeworm and it is killed, I doubt the fish would be able to pass it for a while. It can take a while for the body to break it down, and dead parasites can cause more issues than live ones (due to the body's reaction to the parasite tissue; while parasites are living, they usually trick or evade the immune system - that'll be lost once the parasite dies).

19. OP
    OP
    f

I also have the following medicated flakes... tmp_13817-DSC_0171-21313991.JPG tmp_13817-DSC_0170444964881.JPG tmp_13817-DSC_01691351560920.JPG

20. APierce

The one in the middle is the same thing as prazi pro :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice