Zebra Danio Fry Help

DaughterofGod17

I woke up this morning to find unexpected fry in one of my Danio tanks. I had no idea that they were coming and I did not intend on breeding my Danios. I have separated the fry and adults, but now I just need help on what to do. I was only going to clean out my tank this morning, but it was then I discovered the fry. I have a couple questions.

1. Do I need to get a bigger tank? My current tank that the fry are in is 2.5 Gallons which is obviously to small, but they are not free swimming yet (meaning they are still clinging to the side.) I can't move them from the dirty tank into a clean one anyway because of their size.

2. Is it ok to keep the fry in the dirty tank for a couple days while I get a bigger tank?

3. What should I feed them? Would feeding them crushed up flakes that I feed to my adult Danio's work?

4. What temperature does the water need to be?

Thanks!

BigManAquatics

The crushed flakes might not be ideal, but should work. I would keep them about the same temp as the tank they were born, honestly. Regular water changes usually helps fry grow a bit quicker. They probably only need to be in that small tank for a month or so before they can escape the adults and maybe too big to easily eat.

DaughterofGod17

Thank you for your tips! I decided to blend some flakes so that they are powder. I also got a pretty decent size tank (I am guessing 6-7 gallon) from a thrift store for a nice price. I am terrified to move the fry into it, so I will probably just move the free swimming ones for now.
Also, I don't know how many will survive, but I think I have at least 80 that I counted this morning. Depending on how many do survive, what should I do with them? One does not easily get rid of 80 fry. Any ideas?

BigManAquatics

Local aquarium clubs, fish stores, fish keeping friends. Danios are pretty cheap and almost bulletproof, so that makes them pretty popular fish, too

DaughterofGod17

Thank you so much!
I have yet another question. Should I bother moving some of the fry to another tank even though they are so small? There are I am guessing around 100, but it is a 2.5 that they are all in right now. The new tank that I got is 10 gallon.
Should I add any plants in the 10 gallon if I do put the fry there?

DaughterofGod17

So far they are all doing well. I have transferred, I would say about half at this point. They are almost all free swimming except for about two. Any other suggestions/ideas are much appreciated even if I haven't asked yet!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DaughterofGod17
  • Question
Replies
Views
CadenFisher
  • Question
Replies
Views
DaughterofGod17