Zebra danio breeding?

scharry03

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay, so my two zebra danios follow each other around all the time, and tonight i realized the one in the front looks really pregnant! It's stomach is larger and rounder than usual. I'm not sure if this means it's a she and she is ready to have babies? What do I do? I was about to give my danios to a friend who has a 30 gallon tank, so they can get a school and I would get different fish in mine, but now if she's going to have babies, I don't want to handle her too much and suddenly pop her in a different tank!
Can someone help me??

Betta Whisperer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
First off they are not livebearers. She is full of eggs not babies. Do you have a male? He will be thinner they her. If they do spawn in a community tank you may never know because the other fish including the parents will eat the eggs up unless you have it well planted. If heavely planted some of the eggs may hatch but them you run the risk of the fry being eaten. If you want to try breeding them you will have to move them to a breeding tank with marbles on the bottom.

scharry03

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ohh, ok. If I don't want babies should I just leave them be? Does this make a bad person for lettin the fry die or is it a part of everyday fish life?

Betta Whisperer

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's called survival of the fitest. We've all done it .

scharry03

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Okay, thank you then! I think I will give them to the friend then anyhow if it doesn't really matter. I don't want to breed fish yet.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads