Zebra Danio Breeding Tips?

Discussion in 'Breeding Fish' started by FishWhishes, Apr 9, 2017.

1. FishWhishes

FishWhishesNew MemberMember

Okay so over the last year and a half I've accidentally bred my zebra danios a few times. 2 of the times I noticed before it was too late though out of both times, only one fish has survived (He's a happy adult now and I still have him. :))
    Anyway, I'm thinking about (purposely) breeding my zebra danios soon. I'm planning on using the method where you put plants and mesh over containers. My main questions are:
    Is the above method mentioned a good method? If so, what kind of mesh should I use? What should I feed the fry? Should I use a filter, airstone, or nothing at all (this question is for both during breeding and once the fry are born)?
    Any and all tips for breeding and raising danios would be very much appreciated!!

2. Zerologist

ZerologistWell Known MemberMember

Well first, you need to separate the males and females. After you have sexed your danios, put them in 2 separate tanks to prepare them for breeding.

Secondly, you have to feed them high quality live food. Try daphnia, bloodworms and mosquito larvae. But if you can't obtain live food, you can use frozen food as alternative. Continue feeding them high quality live food for 1 to 2 weeks before attempting to breed them. You should notice the female danios grow rounder as they’re being conditioned! This is a great indication that they’re developing a lot of roe and are ready to breed.

Third, prepare a breeding tank while you wait. After 1 to 2 weeks of preparing your danios, they will be ready to breed. Your breeding tank can be between 5 and 10 gallons and should contain a filter with an air stone (to help prevent the eggs from being sucked into the filter). If you use tap water for the tank, make sure to add a water dechlorinator to the water. Add a heater to the tank and keep the temperature between 72F and 82F. Choose between the marble method, the breeder net method, or the spawning mop method for the configuration of your breeding tank. After you know what configuration you want, you will know how much water you want to put in the tank.

Fourth, after 1 to 2 weeks have passed, move the danios to the breeding tank. It is best to partner 2 males for every 1 female you move over. Normally danios will breed within 24 hours of being placed in the breeding tank. If they do not, leave them for another 24 hours. If 48 hours passes with no spawning, put your danios back in their separate conditioning tanks for a little longer, and continue to feed them live food. Try breeding the danios again in another week or so. (Spawning simply means the female danios have laid eggs and the male danios have fertilized the eggs. Since you can’t tell if the eggs are fertilized, the best thing to do is watch for eggs at the bottom of the tank. Once you see eggs, you know your danios have spawned and you can move the adults back to their regular tanks.)

Last but not the least, once you see danio eggs in the breeding tank, remove the adult danios and put them back in their regular tanks. If you used a breeder net, removal will be very easy. If you used the marble or mop methods, you’ll need to use a fish net to capture the danios in order to move them.

Once your baby danios have reached adult size, you can put the “sons” with the “dads” and the “daughters” with the “moms". Although, for genetic purposes, you may want to keep track of the different generations if you are planning to breed them again.

3. Zerologist

By the way, feed the fry a specialized powdered egglayer fish food or infusoria. Start by feeding the fry lightly several times a day.

4. OP
    OP
    FishWhishes

FishWhishesNew MemberMember

Awesome! Thank you so much for all the help!! Sound like something I can do. :)

5. Zerologist

Ur welcome!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice