Zebra danio breeding questions

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have 3 boys and one girl. I'm planning to get 3 more should I be careful about any boy girl ratio? I don't want to breed them just want everyone to be happy.

How old/large are danios when they first can spawn?

Iv heard they will probably quickly eat there eggs. If there are some in the wc bucket will it be obvious or are they easy to miss?

I'm not really interested in breeding them purposly but would like to know more about it. For example if only having one girl means all the boys will be after her every morning then I'll make sure to get girls. Thanks!

firemouthfreak

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
This is odd.. You don't want them to breed but you would get more females for the other males ! Do you have any other fish in your tank? If so, the other fish could possibly eat the baby Danios IF they do breed.

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
From what Iv heard the adults promptly eat the eggs them selves and probably wouldn't leave any for any other fish I may get. No I'm not interested in breeding but since I already have boys and a girl (from what iv read) its going to happen if it hasn't already. If the one girl is going to be harassed I will get more girls. Whats so odd about not wanting my one girl to be harassed? Iv read on other fishes how males will kill the females just from bugging them so much so I wanted to find out how zebras danios are in that aspect of life. Can anyone answer my questions?

Danionins.com

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They can generally start spawning at 12 to 16 weeks old.

A more even ratio of M/F might work better, but with all Danios, the more the merrier. If your tank is big enough, 10 or 12 will make for a nice display and get along fantastic.

If the fish are well cared for, they will spawn 2 to 3 times a week, and unless the tank is heavily planted, you probably won't see any fry.

The eggs are very hard to see in the WC bucket, at least they are for me.

These are Zebra Danio eggs at 60 hours old...

24.jpg

Hope this answers some of your questions.

Dennis

FLGirl

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Thanks for all the great info, def helps. You rock!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom