Zebra Danio Being Bullied?!? Help

1. Z

ZebraFishLover Member Member

Recently, My only Male zebra danio has been hiding in a log. He came out to eat yesterday but is there again today, Are my females bullying him? I've had them for 4 months, Their water parameters are (I tested with test strips btw(I'll stop as soon as I save enough money for a liquid water test kit)) Nitrate 20, Nitrite 0, GH 300, KH 80, pH 8.4, (Lol almost wrote 84) Temperature 70° F

2. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Hello Zeb...

Introduce floating plants. Anacharis, Hornwort, Water sprite and Pennywort are all good and available at the local fish store. Just drop individual stems of any of these into the tank. They'll grow quickly floating close to the light source. and provide good hiding places for bullied fish. They'll also help maintain a steady water chemistry.

If you're keeping a basic tank and not trying to keep rare fish, then don't fret about the water chemistry. Just remove and replace most of the water weekly, no excuses. Do this and you'll guarantee the fish a healthy environment, no water testing is really needed unless you're interested in the chemistry side of things.

Old

3. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

The only thing I would say is that your pH is very high for a freshwater tank. Danios like 6.5-7.5.

4. OP
    OP
    Z

How do I fix this?

5. OP
    OP
    Z

I'll do that thank you! Do I need a Co2 diffuser for the plants though?

6. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

To lower pH look in your fish store for products like API pH Down or the more expensive things by SeaChem like their neutral regulator. Tetra also makes a product called Tetra Correct pH 7.0 that would probably be the cheapest option.

7. v

varmint Well Known Member Member

I would caution you about trying to adjust the PH in your tank. It is better to have a steady ph, even though it's a bit high, then having it fluctuate. Fish do adapt to higher ph. Just a thought.

8. wodesorel

wodesorel Member Member

How many danio in total do you have? They are a schooling fish so do better in higher numbers - so long as your aquarium can support that. I know when I was adding to my tetras there would be one or two run off by the others, until there were enough to trigger them into shoaling and spread that minor aggression around better.

9. o

oldsalt777 Well Known Member Member

Zeb...

No CO2 system is needed for the floating plants. There's enough CO2 in the surrounding air to support them. If you want to introduce others, then just make sure you know their lighting requirements. Low to medium light plants don't need added CO2. The systems are pricey and somewhat difficult to set up and maintain.

Old

10. OP
    OP
    Z

I have 5, used to have 7, 2 died.