Yuck! Got a couple of plants from a retail chain store and inherited problems.

Discussion in 'Snails' started by marytsharp, Jul 30, 2015.

1. marytsharpValued MemberMember

I won't name names but I purchased a couple of plants locally and they were doing just fine until 5 days ago. Now, I have the stringy green algae and pest snails. Is there any way I can do a terminator on the snails besides picking them out of the tank? Thanks in advance for everyone's input!

2. Plecomaker

PlecomakerWell Known MemberMember

What else is in the tank now?
    i turn the temp down initially to reduce breeding.

also if. You know what kind of snail?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  3. AquaticBrandon

AquaticBrandonWell Known MemberMember

Pest snails huh lol. There are a few methods to get rid of snails. One way is to drop a piece of zucchini, lettuce or something in the tank. Leave it overnight and the next morning just take out the piece and Dump it out. Another way would be to get a few assassin snails.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

4. Plecomaker

You can build a snail trap for small snails by punching holes in small plastic food containerand put the food inside and add the top. Dump it out in 24 hours.

5. OP
    OP
    m

marytsharpValued MemberMember

Thanks guys. @Plecomaker, @AquaticBrandon, They are not the bigger varieties like apples, etc. but they absolutely breed like rodents. So far, I have been picking them out as they become visible. I haven't seen any this morning. Should I get rid of the plants or try to save them? The aquariums are a 10 gallon and a 39 gallon. The 10 has a crowntail betta and the 39 has 8 guppy fry. The 10 is where I noticed them first but upon closer inspection of the 39 I found them in it. I will not name the chain fish store but I am disappointed. I guess from now on, if I buy any local plants I should wash them thoroughly before adding them anywhere. Lesson learned. :(

6. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

I would keep the plants, getting rid of them would serve no purpose imo since the snails have already hatched. :/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

7. LilChicken

LilChickenValued MemberMember

I agree with bijou since they've already hatched. Also this has helped my decision on whether or not to have a quarantine tank, I'm sorry for your issue and hope It clears up.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

8. Plecomaker

Also agree

the containers i mentioned are how i got rid of trumpet snails.
    they also prefer hard water and heat, cooler water reduces breeding.

9. OP
    OP
    m

@Plecomaker The water in both tanks is at 70 degrees or less. I do use a quarantine tank for new fish but I didn't realize that the plants should be treated the same way. How big should the holes be approximately? @LilChicken I have learned a new tip and will use the advice wisely. I normally buy from my friends here on the forum but did an impulse buy on the plants (Dog gone it).

10. Akili

AkiliValued MemberMember

To get rid of snails is to get some Clown Loaches.When you get new plants treat them Alum.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  11. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

In the future, you might consider an alum plant dip for new plants. You can find alum in with the spices at most grocery stores. (Google alum plant dip, you should find something about it).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

12. Plecomaker

Clown loaches you must be jesting. That would be a terrible idea in a fry tank or a 10 gallon.

13. LilChicken

LilChickenValued MemberMember

Just dropping in, I'm interested to know how everything turned out and what method you used. Hope all is well!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

14. OP
    OP
    m

LilChicken I'm still picking those little pests out but the numbers have decreased dramatically. It gives me a little normalcy in an otherwise crazy schedule. I haven't had time to try the container method yet. Truth be told I am enjoying the hunt.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice