Yoyos don't eat snails

mrsP

I got few yoyo loaches because of snail infestation in my 66 gallon tank. However, they don't seem to be interested about snails at all, why? I have hundreds of snails in tank, and yoyos are doing anything else than eating those buggers!

MacZ

Either the loaches are too big and the snails to small or the other way round. Many fish have a preferred prey size. Also, do you feed the loaches additionally?

jmaldo

Similar issue a couple of years back with one tank, got some snail hitchhikers on plants I added. The snails were out of control, due to the feedings I was doing with EBA fry/juveniles.
I did purchase 4 yoyos, about 1.5". I thought the same at first. But... actually they were. Telltale sign was all the empty shells. Within 6-8 weeks not a snail to be had, In fact I would remove some snails from my other tanks to feed them. Within a year they were 3" fat cigars.

Good Luck!

mrsP

Loaches are around 3 inch, good condition but not fat, and I have variety of snail sizes. That includes adult snails, hundreds of them... and I started to see empty snail shells just after I added 4 assassin snails, and by the amounts of empty shells, I would think they are eaten by assassins.
I don't feed loaches as themselves, but because I have other fish in tank, I feed them. And if loaches get hungry, they seem to harrass gold fishes, not to hunt for snacks that actually could be easily picked anywhere.

Edit: these pictures made me realise how bad it actually is...

jake37

Only 3 inches in a year? They should be like 6 inches ? or maybe that is 3 inches around ?
-
I put a mystery snail that was quite old in my 120 and it took the yoyo or clown 48 hours to eat it; but then i put a young one in there and 2 months later they still haven't found a way to eat it

jmaldo said:
Similar issue a couple of years back with one tank, got some snail hitchhikers on plants I added. The snails were out of control, due to the feedings I was doing with EBA fry/juveniles.
I did purchase 4 yoyos, about 1.5". I thought the same at first. But... actually they were. Telltale sign was all the empty shells. Within 6-8 weeks not a snail to be had, In fact I would remove some snails from my other tanks to feed them. Within a year they were 3" fat cigars.

Good Luck!

mrsP

I got my yoyos about 3 months ago, they were small then, so I would imagine they're still growing. Perhaps they've never learned how to eat snails.

MacZ

Fish don't have to learn things like that. I see Goldfish. Is the tank heated?

ALonelyBetta

This is why I don’t buy fish to solve my tank problems. Other than shrimp they are just too cute. Also I agree is MacZ.

Redshark1

The loaches look fat. If they were hungry they may well start to eat the snails.

mrsP

Tank is heated, 24 celsius. I bought 20 assassin snails, let's see if that helps. And if they breed too much, I can always take excess to my lfs.

MacZ

You know what would be the pinnacle of irony? If the loaches decide to start eating snails now and start with the assassin snails. Hope it works, good luck!

GlennO

They do look well fed. It might be just that they have no need to work for their food.

BigBeardDaHuZi

mrsP said:
Loaches are around 3 inch, good condition but not fat, and I have variety of snail sizes. That includes adult snails, hundreds of them... and I started to see empty snail shells just after I added 4 assassin snails, and by the amounts of empty shells, I would think they are eaten by assassins.
I don't feed loaches as themselves, but because I have other fish in tank, I feed them. And if loaches get hungry, they seem to harrass gold fishes, not to hunt for snacks that actually could be easily picked anywhere.

Edit: these pictures made me realise how bad it actually is...
Dear lord, that is a lot of snails

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom