Yoyo loach with Zebra loaches

CJLand

Reaction score
Will different species of loaches interact and shoal with each other? Specifically yoyo and zebra loaches. Ive had a single yoyo loach for probably over 2 years now in my 20 gallon, its not an ideal situation but i had to rescue him and this was the best i could do and i just love him. Im getting a bigger tank and obviously im gonna move him into there when all is ready, but im not sure i could get an entire shoal of them due to their size. Mine is a little more than 5 inches and extremely active, and im not sure that would work. So i was wondering if i could a shoal of some smaller loaches, such as zebra loaches. Ive read theyre a little less high strung and around 3.5 inches. Would my yoyo become part of their shoal at least a little? I know it wont be as close as a shoal of his own, but i also know how social and funny and interactive loaches are. Would that be alright?

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mine swim together. I have zebra loach; yoyo loach; a few gold zebra loach and clown loach. The clown loach tend to not spend much time with the other loaches during the day (other than feeding time) but frequently the zebra loach, gold loach and yoyo loach mix together when swimming. Occasionally a few of the kuhli will join them.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It's been my experience that different species of Botia Loach can be kept together, but won't intermingle. Cramped conditions greatly reduce the chances for a peaceful coexistence.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Can you be more specific on which species you've kept together. I know that you have a kept a lot of loaches but at least some of them are the more aggressive sort. I've not noticed any aggression between my loaches but i have the more peaceful sort and as i noted i see them frequently interacting in a playful manner (swimming together and such).

A201 said:
It's been my experience that different species of Botia Loach can be kept together, but won't intermingle. Cramped conditions greatly reduce the chances for a peaceful coexistence.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I currently keep Red Tail Loaches aka Y. Modesta and a Berdmorei Tiger Loach. I have also kept "Helodes" Tigers (Highly aggressive) & Zebra Loaches.
Berdmorei Tigers tolerate other varieties of loaches but will torment or kill conspecifics. Zebras are passive & go well with almost anything. Red Tails, are built like linebackers, are very active. They get along fine with other loaches. The bigger the tank, the better the chances of a harmonic community.
20200419_090857.jpg
20191008_103118.jpg

New Threads