Yoyo Loach Question

Discussion in 'YoYo Loach' started by michaelmcg, Apr 19, 2017.

1. m

michaelmcg New Member Member

My tank has been fully set up for about 2 weeks and this morning it looks like one of my Yoyo Loaches has developed a bulge in its belly. How can I tell whether it is pregnant or fat? All my fish are still pretty small so I figured there wouldn't be any babies yet.

2. Kiks

Kiks Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately I have no experience with Yoyo loaches, but when you say that your tank has been fully set up for two weeks, does it mean that it finished cycling two weeks ago or that it's two weeks ago since you filled it with substrate and water?

3. OP
    OP
    m

The fish have been in for 2 weeks. The cycling and setup had been done probably a week before that. I let everything sit a while to make extra sire I wasn't throwing fish into something uncomfortable.

4. 2211Nighthawk

2211Nighthawk Fishlore VIP Member

By buldge do you mean it looks like he swallowed a marble? Big and round? My ropefish did that and gave me a heart attack but it went away after a while. I didn't think yoyo's bred in captivity but I could be wrong.

5. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Unfortunately just letting a tank full of water sit won't cycle it. You need a source of ammonia, be it fish producing waste or another source, to feed the bacteria that convert it to nitrites and eventually nitrates.

You can't cycle a tank in a week, it can take up to 6 weeks to properly cycle.

If possible, can you share your tank parameters? Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels, as well as temperature? Also, have you been doing water changes?

6. OP
    OP
    m

The rest of the house is asleep now so I can't dig out the test kit but I have the heater set to 80 for my Rams and as far as water changes I've done a couple around maybe 30 or 40% and when it was empty I would sprinkle some food and some of the starter additives in every day to try and get a little ammonia and bacteria in there to clear it out.

7. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

You have a source of ammonia added which is a start, but without testing the water parameters it is possible you have the fish in a tank with ammonia and nitrites. Extended exposure can cause a slew of health issues. Tomorrow, as soon as you're able, I would test the water and report the results here.

Also, what bacterial starter did you use?

8. OP
    OP
    m

I used some fluval stuff until that ran out then I have been using an API stress zyme bottle ever since. I also have put in some aquarium salt since when I brought a water sample into the store they said I needed my PH a bit higher. I only added the fish once I got the green light from my local guy.

9. Fahn

Fahn Fishlore VIP Member

Your pH is fine as is unless it is extremely low or high, don't screw around with it; most captive bred fish can adapt to a wide array of pH levels easily. Also, do not add aquarium salt to tanks with scaleless fish such as catfish and loaches. They don't tolerate it very well. If you absolutely have to raise pH (very low pH or water has no buffering capacity), first look into raising KH. Crushed coral is a very popular media and I recently used it in my tank because my pH was dropping too low when I ran my CO2. It works quite well at raising and buffering your KH and subsequently pH. However, if your pH is fine (6.4 or higher) I'd leave it alone.

If you can, post your pH as well tomorrow.

You're in FL just like I am, so you should have Seachem Prime and Stability available to you at pretty much any pet shop, even the big chain stores. I highly recommend them as the products to use to help cycle your tank. The instructions are easy to understand and I, as well as a great many users here, can attest to it's effectiveness.

10. OP
    OP
    m

I'll pick some up tomorrow. Have to get some frozen foods anyway. Thanks for the help, will share the water numbers when I can.

11. OP
    OP
    m

I tested my water and it looks like my nitrites are a little high. My test kit is the water swab thing so I don't have exact numbers but its on the higher end of the color spectrum they give. I think I may be giving them a little too much food. My ph is in the middle of the spectrum like a bit over 7.5 maybe. I'll try to find the additives you mentioned while I'm out today. I don't see any of the fish looking bad right now but I don't want to wait until there is a problem.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice