Yoyo Loach MIA after tank cleaning! Help

1. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

I am SO distraught! Yesterday, we did our tank cleanings. The yoyo tank got a 50% change (typical once a week change). I took out a large decor piece and put some new artificial plants in there and one new piece of real driftwood because I know the loaches love their driftwood.

Usually, one of the three loaches will be MIA for a short time after a cleaning. I think he gets more stressed than the other fish about it.

But this was yesterday at about 4 PM. Last night, I still couldn't find him, and this morning I couldn't find him. I also have cichlid stones in there and, although I haven't seen them stay in the stones, I've seen them investigate them, so I double-checked those. No loach. Checked the little hidey holes in the driftwood. No loach.

This tank was set up prior to my love affair with loaches, so the substrate is a medium sized rounded gravel. I have seen them dig caves underneath stones through the gravel, no problem.

Is it possible this guy is hanging out beneath the gravel? Could he survive staying there for 24 hours?

After work, I'm going to do a 25% water change, remove all the decor and carefully move the gravel to see if he's there.

If he's just disappeared into thin air, I'm not only going to be very spooked but extremely heartbroken. I love my loaches. :'(

Anyone have any ideas, thoughts, experience with loaches MIA? Thanks, guys.

Edited to add: I know he didn't go up the python. a) he wouldn't fit, b) I don't take my eye off that python for a minute when using it.

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Check in any holes in the driftwood you took out.
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    LyndaB

Thank you, Carol.

The only two pieces of driftwood I left in the tank while cleaning were the two that have the holes in them for their hiding places. On one piece, there are more groove-like places on the outer section of wood, somewhat exposed and they're easy to find there. On the other one, a pleco had once drilled a hole into the driftwood itself.

When I discovered this guy missing, I checked the easy piece of wood, and no luck. I held the other wood up to the side of the tank (still under water) and shone a flashlight in that hiding place, and couldn't see anybody. I don't think more than one loach can fit in there but am unsure.

I don't usually feel stress, but this is really unnerving. :confused:

4. Flyfrod

Flyfrod Valued Member Member

He's probably still in the tank hiding. I thought I had lost all but one of my yoyo's until I did some rearranging of decor and found the others hiding in some of the strangest places.

5. OP
    OP
    LyndaB

I can only pray Fly, thank you.

6. izzyfishfarmer

izzyfishfarmer Well Known Member Member

mine hides in my substrate for at least an our a day mines about 2 inches think so he just loves to forage in there i wouldnt worry in the wild its how they find food ive heard

also make sure you dont dig with your fingers the barbs might hurt was the decor you took out hollow? i would be very upset if anything happened to my loaches

7. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Lynda has he shown back up yet?
    Carol

8. OP
    OP
    LyndaB

No, never showed up and the body was never found. I miss her. :(

9. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

I don't know how I missed this thread.