20 Gallon Tank Yoyo loach bit off other loaches fin

Prevasist

So my loaches have been doing great in my tank. They are all super active. I have 4 of them and they have had quite a few fight between the 2 biggest ones. A few weeks after I got them one ended up becoming completely deformed after a fight. He's still alive its been 3 months now.

Today I noticed that the one who is the biggest and the "alfa" was missing his top fin????? I remember seeing the 2 of them fight but its never been this serious before. Now I have a yoyo who has a Hella deformed body and one who's missing a fin.... pictures are of the missing fin...

Demeter

Yoyos can be very aggressive to their own kind, this is why it is best to have a decent sized group in a large tank. A bigger group spreads aggression among them so no one fish gets picked on, a larger tank provides plenty of space for them to get away from each other if they have to.

So my question for you is how big is the tank?

Prevasist

My tank is 20 gallons. I have 4 of them. I'm possibly getting a larger tank this Christmas

KingOscar

Did he report the assault to the police? :D

I had a solo yo-yo. They might like groups but mine was fine on his own and lived 21 years... my longest lived fish.

No way would I put up with harassment like that.

Demeter

I would say tank size is part of the problem then. 20gals is okay for one but a group of 4 is just too little space for them to get away from each other. You would want something with a larger foot print to provide plenty of horizontal space. I've never owned yoyos but I would say something like a 40-50gal would be ideal for your group.

If all else fails, it would be best to rehome all but one loach. It is not good to let fish constantly battle and harm each other. A nipped fin here and there is okay but major injury is not. Stress from fighting may lead to infection or other disease. Best to put a stop to it sooner rather than later.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
jake37
Replies
Views
Kenny777
Replies
Views
Noroomforshoe
Replies