Youtube: New Betta Fish & added photos here.

capekate
Hello everyone..
wanted to share with you my new male Betta that I got on friday. Haven't named him as of yet, but my husband calls him "8 cents". cuz that is what he cost me. ( another story)...
ohhh and btw, just to warn you, turn the volume down a wee bit, I think the music was too loud. lol..
~ kate
Enjoy!

Sparkling Diamonds
Re: Youtube: New Betta Fish..

Well, let me be the first to say that he is BEAUTIFUL! Very lovely. Welcome 8 cents!!

capekate

thank you ! ;D
He is still alittle shy.. but starting to come around. That video was one of a lot of attempts at filming him. When I would.. he would either hide behind the filter or under the air stone. Hes a cutie pie.. and just adjusting now to his new home. ;D

Sparkling Diamonds

Aww he's a bit camera shy... I'm sure he'll warm up. They video is a perfect one, him showing himself off in all his studliness. I don't think I would have been able to resist him either if I had seen him at the store.

COBettaCouple

he's a beautiful butterfly. looks like he might be a super-delta too. welcome to '8 cents'.

capekate

he's a beautiful butterfly. looks like he might be a super-delta too. welcome to '8 cents'.
Thank you! Butterfly? super-delta?.... I don't know but must describe his fins. He is a beauty and thank you for checking him out. For now he is using a heating pad to warm the bottom of the 2.5 gal tank; I need to order one of those flat minI heaters that go good in 2.5's and acrylic tanks asap!
8-cents! well...
that is what he cost me . I had to return a bottle of ammo-loc which I bought by mistake. After adding a scraper and the new betta, the register rung up to a whopping total of 8 cents purchase. lol. So my husband calls him '8 cents'. I WILL come up with a better name eventually.

COBettaCouple

Rose might have to correct any errors I make but here we go...

a butterfly is when you have more than 1 color in the fins going in an oval shape. 2 colors, 3 and even a rare 4 can be found in the butterfly style.

a super delta (130 to 170s degrees) is when the tail is above a delta tail and one step below a halfmoon. Almost halfmoon (180 degrees), but not quite.

For the heater, i'd recommend this: . walmart sells them and they do pretty good at keeping a 2.5g around 78. those little flat ones are nothing but trouble from what i've heard.

capekate

Rose might have to correct any errors I make but here we go...

a butterfly is when you have more than 1 color in the fins going in an oval shape. 2 colors, 3 and even a rare 4 can be found in the butterfly style.

a super delta (130 to 170s degrees) is when the tail is above a delta tail and one step below a halfmoon. Almost halfmoon (180 degrees), but not quite.
thanks! I will have to look at him more closely and check it out. ;D

Well I had to get him to 'flare' so that I can get some good shots of his fins and tail. I also got a good video of him flaring and will put it up on youtube asap.
What do you think? He has three colors in his tail and looks full moon to me? Or half moon?

here is a link to youtube, where you can see him in action and showing off in all his glory! ;D

Do you think that the tetra heater you linked me to, that is a 50w is ok for an acrylic tank? I don't want the plastic to melt and get toxic for the fish. So those minI flat lil 2.5x5 inch minI heaters are a problem?

JnsDnsks

What do you think? He has three colors in his tail and looks full moon to me? Or half moon?

He is a Veiltail, and a handsome guy indeed! 

Halfmoon refers to the tail *shape* not coloring. There is  no *Full Moon* in Betta's.

His fin color is a Butterfly pattern...meaning he has multiple color(s) in his finnage. The Butterfly pattern is when their fins carry white coloration where the color ends. Hope this helps!...

Congrats...He's a keeper! 

capekate
HI There,
8 Cents thanks you for the compliment!

Bonochick
What a beauty!! Cute video.

Phloxface
Beautiful fish! He looks a lot like my Niles too. Same coloring but different pattern. He may be a marbled Betta. If his patterns change over time then you'll know he is marbled. He looks like a big boy too! Niles is huge too for his age and they both seem to like to dance for the camera!
Here's a video of Niles if you want to see how much alike they look. It seems he has two brothers now on this board!

capekate
Beautiful fish! He looks a lot like my Niles too. Same coloring but different pattern. He may be a marbled Betta. If his patterns change over time then you'll know he is marbled. He looks like a big boy too! Niles is huge too for his age and they both seem to like to dance for the camera!
Here's a video of Niles if you want to see how much alike they look. It seems he has two brothers now on this board!
hello Phloxface,
I went to your youtube videos and checked them out. OMG you are soo right! They really do look alike! And yes, I agree, they both look huge an they both have the same body shape, much more pointer body lines then the other male bettas, like my phoenix who is more rounded and smaller head. Niles is a beauty!! and like I said.. its amazing how much they do look alike! ;D And looks like they have the same personalities as well! I just love these fish!
thanks for sharing those great videos! ~ kate

nmwierman1977
He is very beautiful. Welcome ' 8 cents'. Natalie

voiceless_kat
Capekate..."8 cents" is amazing!! Welcome. Neat video...........was he flaring just because he could & showing off!! Beautiful colours.!! Val

COBettaCouple
Seeing him in action, he does look like a delta tail. his butterfly is very close to a smooth oval and that's very good. i've used that heater in one of the little 'critter keeper' acrylic boxes and had no problems with it, or even in using it in a rubbermaid container.

capekate
He is very beautiful. Welcome ' 8 cents'. Natalie
thank you Natalie...He is a sweetie pie with his own personality for sure.

HI Val, he was flaring because I put a mirror up to the glass. I wanted him to show off his tail for a better photo so that I could identify what type of Betta he is.

Hello FlBettaCouple:
I read another post, I think by butterfly, maybe it was chickadee, that mentioned the critterkeeper. It looked like a good size, wondering how many gals that holds? I wouldnt mind using that for a tank in an emergancy. About that minI heater, I checked out the site you showed me, but thought that in the 2.5 g it would just take up too much room. So I would like to try out that flat 2.5x5 inch heater by hordel. I thought that 8 cents tail flowed differently than my red betta, pheonix. Thanks for checking him out for me.
Now off to check out your posts on your trip to the show! ;D

Jendayi
He is a veil tail, very similar to Romeo. They both have a kind-of 'bell' shaped tail. Here is a pic of Romeo from about 9 days ago. Just imagine it to be a little longer (he is still recovering from tail rot) and they would look very similar.

And welcome to your new boy! He is gorgeous! Maybe he and Romeo are related - both little walmart bettas...

Attachments

• 65.jpg
    65.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 51
capekate
He is a veil tail, very similar to Romeo. They both have a kind-of 'bell' shaped tail. Here is a pic of Romeo from about 9 days ago. Just imagine it to be a little longer (he is still recovering from tail rot) and they would look very similar.

And welcome to your new boy! He is gorgeous! Maybe he and Romeo are related - both little walmart bettas...
He certaintly does look like Romeo... ;D But 8 cents is not a walmart betta. There is no local walmart around here. And no petco either. My only LFS is petsmart and that's where I go for my fishys. ;D

Attachments

• 65.jpg
    65.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 49
the_dukeman
Excellent video of your new Veiltail Betta. I also like your tank setup in the video called CapeKates Betta Tank. It has a good mix of plants. Where do you get your plants? My local PetsMart has very few plants on hand. Unlike the old days when they had them in a huge tank ready to go, now they are in plastic tubes and who knows how long they've been out of water?!? I am also interested in what additives you use, if any, to keep the plants healthy.

capekate
Excellent video of your new Veiltail Betta.  I also like your tank setup in the video called CapeKates Betta Tank.  It has a good mix of plants.  Where do you get your plants?  My local PetsMart has very few plants on hand.  Unlike the old days when they had them in a huge tank ready to go, now they are in plastic tubes and who knows how long they've been out of water?!?  I am also interested in what additives you use, if any, to keep the plants healthy.
hello There, glad you liked the video. ;D In my tanks I have used the frill plant and mondo grass. I don't use any additives for the plants, and the frill plant is flourishing without any help.I keep the hood light on for about 12 hours or so a day, so that may be helping it along. I also use petsmart, where they have a large planting tank full of rows of plants, guess I'm lucky that my local pet store still has the plant tanks and not plastic tubes. But without much help from me, the plants seem to be doing very well. I have used hornwort in the past, but that particular plant really sheds and makes a mess in the tank. Moneywort is not a bad choice,but can get messy when it comes up during a vacumn cleanning of the surrrounding gravel. I like the frill plant since it grows so tall, it gives the Bettas a sort of sleeping spot for the evenings. They can rest on top of the soft plant near the surface.
;D

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
sarah zehowski
2 3 4 5
Replies
Views
Lizzinator
Replies
Views
Annie424