Your Thoughts on Tetra EasyBalance?

JustAFishServant
Member
Hey all! So I recently took in a friend's Betta - they're in the midst of moving. His name is Donut (their kids named him), and he came with a 3g, a pair of healthy Anubias, and two broken hides. Poor thing had torn fins, and because he's a metallic, scales are covering his eyes. He looked relatively healthy except for a few injuries. I've since sanded every corner of the rock hide and removed half of the broken barrel (the other half was stuck to the roots to one of the Anubias). He also came with a few supplies including "BettaMin flakes" and freeze-dried bloodworms, which I highly recommend avoiding. The ingredients in the flakes are terrible and low quality, although the crude protein is pretty high at 48%. He came with Aqueon Color Pellets I assume they're called, which aren't nearly as bad as the flakes, but not nearly as good as Betta Buffet or NLS. He also came with Tetra EasyStrips (which aren't accurate), some sort of pH strip, an auto feeder which I probably won't be using, a bunch of carbon filter cartridges which I definitely won't be using, "AquaSafe for Bettas" I won't be using, and EasyBalance which I'm very skeptical about. This 3g cylindrical tank is a kit from PetSmart, which means it's not great. The filter sucks (literally) but it takes too much space in the tank, so I decided to replace it with one of my homemade bottle filters! If anyone's interested, I'll be sure to post it

Anyhow, that brings me to the question. What is EasyBalance, is it effective, or should I discard/donate it? What are your experiences with this mixture of inorganic mineral salts and vitamins? Checking the reviews online, it seems as if some people report it lowering their pH (my tap water is 6.8, so I don't need any help with this), as well as their KH, significantly. I've also seen reviews where it made their water cloudy, or crashed the cycle altogether. So tell me, my glorious fin-loving friends, should I continue using this or scrap it altogether? Thanks all
 
Betta'sAnonymous
Member
Personally i wouldn't use it, but i try hard to not use any kind of chemicals other than dechlorinator.

Probably be best to ask them if they use it regularly though, because the fish may be used to it and adapted of they do.
 
  • Thread Starter
JustAFishServant
Member
Betta'sAnonymous said:
Personally i wouldn't use it, but i try hard to not use any kind of chemicals other than dechlorinator.

Probably be best to ask them if they use it regularly though, because the fish may be used to it and adapted of they do.
Absolutely agreed! I, too, try to avoid using any chemicals in my aquariums, unless it's mandatory (like fert supplements for plants). I don't even have to use dechlorinator! My tap water is very "clean"
 
Betta'sAnonymous
Member
JustAFishServant said:
Absolutely agreed! I, too, try to avoid using any chemicals in my aquariums, unless it's mandatory (like fert supplements for plants). I don't even have to use dechlorinator! My tap water is very "clean"
Yeah, not going to play that game...i know ours isn't, as i know which river it comes from, and because i learned that one the hard way many many years ago lol!

I have seen EasyBalance-and competing products-on the shelves many times, never had much interest because i have not been a pH chaser and never kept anything that sensitive to such things.
 
Deku-Cory
Member
Back in the day, some pet store employees told a wee young Deku-Cory that it was important, so I used it for many years. I still have a bottle in the back of the cabinet. I don't have the faintest clue what, if anything, it actually did.
 
Betta'sAnonymous
Member
Deku-Cory said:
Back in the day, some pet store employees told a wee young Deku-Cory that it was important, so I used it for many years. I still have a bottle in the back of the cabinet. I don't have the faintest clue what, if anything, it actually did.
Honestly, i feel thats what half the aquarium stuff available is for...situations like that!! Granted, there probably is people out there who it is an absolute lifesaver for...but probably not the general hobbyist
 

Latest threads

Top Bottom