Your thoughts on stripping cichlids?

1. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

My cichlids just keep on having babies! I'm not sure if this is a good thing, as I'm running out of places to put them! lol.

I was just wondering what everybody's thoughts are about stripping cichlids of their babies. I read somewhere that some cichlids may actually learn their mouth brooding behaviors from experiencing it themselves, and not from instinct. Does anybody know if this is true?

I want to get the babies as soon as I can, to make sure the mom isn't stressing too much (with a separate tank, not eating...etc), but I wouldn't want their future babies to be affected :/

Edit: here's where I found the info- http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/raising_fry.php

2. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

I went ahead and stripped my females. Amazingly, I just noticed a FOURTH girl is holding. Where in the world am I going to put all these babies?!? Would still like an answer to my above question :D

3. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Bump. Anybody?

4. snapper Well Known Member Member

I strip them. The way the moms attack their food ravenously when it's over I think they appreciate it. The babies do fine, and I think you actually get more to survive than if you wait for mom to spit them. :)

5. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the reply!

I ended up having four holding females at once, and stripped them all. They were all pretty young, and I was a little worried about food.

6. snapper Well Known Member Member

How many babies did you get and WHERE ARE THE PICTURES!?!?!? :;laughing:

7. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

AHH PICTURES! I forgot! This is the best I could get- they're just small enough and fast enough to where a decent picture is nearly impossible.

They are a mix of OB and red empress cichlids- but there are PLENTY more empresses than OBs. One of the OB moms was way too young, and none of her babies made it :( So, 10ish OBs and... well... millions and millions of empresses! lol

I'll be starting another thread with a couple more pictures :)

Attached Files:

8. btate617 Well Known Member Member

This thread is a couple weeks old but.....

There is absolutely nothing wrong with stripping a holding female.

You asked if this is something they learn by experience or through instinct.
    Those fish that are mouth brooders have evolved to raise their fry this way.
    Either they are mouth brooders or they aren't. Meaning an egg laying pair
    are not going to watch a mouth brooding pair in the same tank and then
    mimic their behavior.

Your OB's are immediate mouth brooders, as soon as the male fertilizes the
    eggs the female will continue to hold the eggs for the duration. Nearly all
    cichlids from the African lakes are mouth brooder's.

There are also some fish that are delayed mouth brooder's, an example here
    the genus Gymnogeophagus from South America. The delayed mouth brooder's
    are different from the immediate in that the female will deposit the eggs and
    the male will fertilize them but instead of the female picking them up right
    away she will literally sit right in front of them and stare at them for 24-36
    hours.... Then pick them up and continue as an immediate mouth brooder
    would.
    One interesting thing with the genus Gymnogeophagus is you have all the
    types in this group of fish. Some are typical egg layers, some immediate
    mouth brooder's, and some delayed mouth brooder's. Also you will find
    Different Gymnogeophagus in the same river/creek and one will be an egg
    layer while the other species is a mouth brooder. Why one evolved to mouth
    brood and the other specie did not.....I don't know.

There are also a couple species of cichlids where the male and female will
    share in the duty of mouth brooding the eggs.

As far as being worried about the holding fish not eating it isn't a concern.
    This is what they do and is completely natural for them. If yÓu have a
    mature fish, which you do if they are spawning, they can go a long time
    without eating no worries.

Congrats on the spawns and good luck!

Brian

9. soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Well the above post about sums it all up. We were discussing stripping macs on a different forum, and the same instinct vs experience question came up. Some one made mention that they have stripped their wild bettas and the fry were raised and bred and knew how to mouth brood.

10. Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Thanks guys , that's really helpful!!