Your Thoughts on Divided Bettas?

Devon
Forgive me if this sounds ignorant, as I have only ever kept bettas by themselves one to a tank... but, how is it that you can set up a "divided" tank for bettas? I am mainly curious about how, if the water filter is on one side or the other, does the filtration get spread out evenly?
Also, I wonder if the dividers are supposed to be opaque so they can't see one another... wouldn't they get stressed out if they were puffing up and sizing each other up, itching to kill one another all the time?
I have been daydreaming about more bettas, and thought it would be cool to have a 15 gallon divided, but I can't wrap my brain around some of the particulars. -_-

Shawnie
Forgive me if this sounds ignorant, as I have only ever kept bettas by themselves one to a tank... but, how is it that you can set up a "divided" tank for bettas? I am mainly curious about how, if the water filter is on one side or the other, does the filtration get spread out evenly?
Also, I wonder if the dividers are supposed to be opaque so they can't see one another... wouldn't they get stressed out if they were puffing up and sizing each other up, itching to kill one another all the time?
I have been daydreaming about more bettas, and thought it would be cool to have a 15 gallon divided, but I can't wrap my brain around some of the particulars. -_-

heres one of my tanks devon...its a 20 gal long divided many times LOL (I have a bad addiction also)
all bettas are different..some ignore eachother and others dont...as far as dividing, I have colored ones that aren't as see thru ..I got the plastic mesh at walmart..comes like 8 in a pack for a few bucks...then got book dividers for the tops and sides of them for a few more bucks...think I got 8 dividers for like 10-12 bucks total...there are very small filters for each compartment but I use the 20 gallon one and move it daily..I also have small bubblers in each compartment to move the water around...I can get more pics of everything if its something you need to see visually...but becareful..you can't stop at just two!!

rileyrk190
If you take bindings from report covers, and silicone them in place, you can slide the divider of your choice between them. I used glass, which didn't work very well because as you said, the filter does one side mostly. But from the one time I tried it, I learned that you should try to use a solid color. Sometimes its fun to watch them interact, but their personalities really shine when they are alone, or at least think they are alone. this is not to say that others have not done it successfully, its just my opinion.

Devon
Wow Shawnie!! That looks really cool... and my, goodness, but you can have a lot of bettas that way... now I'm afraid the wheels are turning and my addiction might be about to rocket out of control, haha.

We don't have a Wal-Mart anywhere near here, did you assemble the dividers yourself then? I am having a hard time visualising how they get put together.

I never say no to tank photos! ;D

If you take bindings from report covers, and silicone them in place, you can slide the divider of your choice between them.

Okay, that makes sense. So basically you attach whatever you're going to slide the mesh into to the inside of the tank, and I take it the mesh is stiffer plastic, so it will stay in place once you slide it in. Now I really think I need a 15gal...

Shawnie
Wow Shawnie!! That looks really cool... and my, goodness, but you can have a lot of bettas that way... now I'm afraid the wheels are turning and my addiction might be about to rocket out of control, haha.

We don't have a Wal-Mart anywhere near here, did you assemble the dividers yourself then? I am having a hard time visualising how they get put together.

I never say no to tank photos! ;D

heres a pic of the pieces ..you can get them at any craft store or sometimes at staples ... and yes I made them...measure and cut to the right size..tight enough so they don't require any silicone or sticking..they fit right in nicely...and being colored, the boys don't see eachother as if it was see thru...like I said, be very careful as it gets totally outta control LOL ...I have 9 boys now...but I love them dearly...just lots of work ;D

Amanda
My divided 10 gal. HAPPY BETTAS!

Devon
Ohh okay, this makes a lot more sense now that I see a photo of the materials. I'm so excited now... I get paid again on Friday, I think it's time to go tank-shopping... Shawnie, you might have created a monster!!

Thanks for the info. ;D

Shawnie
haha sowwy ;D NOT!!!

I love paydays

great tank amanda!

MinxMermaid
we have two bookshelf tanks divided. rick siliconed the slider pieces in place and then we put the plastic with small holes that we bought with a 10 gal divider kit.

when we first started we had 2 bettas that flared ALOT, Ace and Lemon, so we had to move one of those. we moved Lemon and put Rainbow with Ace. they flare a little, but not much. on our other one, Pink Floyd is the dominant one and Flame will retreat whenever Pink Flares at him.

we found the one side didn't seem to have enough circulation so we bought these tiny hang inside filters for the side without the filter. we tried air stones, but they didn't like that as it messed up their bubble nests.

EEEEK!!! we just went to feed tonite and one betta had jumped the fence and Flame was in Pink Floyd's side

luckily, he just had a couple of big bites out of his tailops: he seems fine.

we moved him back and lowered the water level so this doesn't happen again

0morrokh
Requirements for divided tank:
1. Non-see thru divider for males, though a male/female pair or 2 females may be fine seeing each other (my male & female seem to like seeing each other)
2. Ideally a small filter in each section, or if not possible put an air stone in the unfiltered sections
3. It's also best to put a heater in each section-for ex. in a divided in half 20 gallon instead of 1 100watt heater put a 50watt heater on each side.
4. Make sure they can't jump the divider...I keep the water a couple inches low

Have fun, and try not to get too addicted. ;D

shellbell4ever
Nice tanks everyone!I also have a couple of 10ga divided male/female combo and are very happy I have the filter on one side and heater and small bubbler on the other and do frequent w/c's

Amanda
I have the same setup as shellbell. Filter on one side, heater on the other. I have a clear divider - they flared at eachother for about a day, now they're bored with eachother.

chickadee
For jumpers make a T top type thing from craft canvas about 4 inches wide and just lay a 4 inch wide strip of the craft canvas on top of the divider and they will not be able to jump over and you can raise the water level up to the top if you want to and they cannot get over.

For right now I really discourage the practice of dividing tanks as we really do not understand what is going on with bettas with respect to the disease processes that have been killing the new bettas lately. So unless these are bettas you have had for some time and the tank is established and you are very certain of the fish in these tanks, I would not be comfortable suggesting that you divide any tank or add new fish to a dividided tank of any kind. You are definitely playing Russian roulette with any fish that you do this with at the present. Quarantine, Quarantiine, Quarantine!!!! I know that you get very tired of me talking about this but it is so important that I cannot begin to tell you.

Rose

Devon
Wow Shelly that's a really neat setup! I was thinking about putting a male-female pair in a divided tank... I imagine I certainly would get a lot of silly goofy behaviour and some great big bubble nests out of the boy! ;D

For right now I really discourage the practice of dividing tanks as we really do not understand what is going on with bettas with respect to the disease processes that have been killing the new bettas lately. So unless these are bettas you have had for some time and the tank is established and you are very certain of the fish in these tanks, I would not be comfortable suggesting that you divide any tank or add new fish to a dividided tank of any kind.

It's really good advice; I myself was only planning to divide a tank between two bettas from the same source.

I'm in the process of trying to find the mesh that was mentioned earlier on in this thread... you would really think it would be easier to find in my area. A helpful tip if anyone else has as much trouble finding it online or in a store as I did... call it "plastic canvas", not mesh. ;D For 3D needlepoint.

Thanks to everyone that helped me with the info for dividing!

Martinismommy
Well considering I just bought another darn tank (10 gallon this time) and have no divided tanks I guess there is your answer....I'm just to chicken to do it lol.....I'd bet money my boys would find a way to the other side.....I've thought about it many times..I even bought the stuff to do it but still have not divided a tank....

voiceless_kat
Divided tanks are a personal choice and in most cases, I suppose they work. Personally, I tired it with 2 males; then had to cover the divider with plants - both sides- and then both of them would swim into the tiniest opening to flare at the other. They both seemed so stressed all the time, and bascially spent all their time in the plants squeezing into little spots, looking for the other guy! As well, I was spending all my time trying to fix things for them, and being upset rather than enjoying them.

I finally bought another tank, and seperated them, and lo and behold within a day or two, their colours changed ( and they were beautifully coloured before ) and they each swam all over their new tanks. So from my experience, I decided not to do it again. Also, if there is fin rot or any disease problem, they both would need to get treated, since they probably both had been exposed. And I would never put a new fish in with an old fish into a divided tank, without the new fish having been quarantined, as Rose says.

I must say, sometimes, I pine to have more in a divided tank, but like Karen, I won't do it. So I just have to be happy drooling over those that have great success at it!!

Val

Shawnie
I'm in the process of trying to find the mesh that was mentioned earlier on in this thread... you would really think it would be easier to find in my area. A helpful tip if anyone else has as much trouble finding it online or in a store as I did... call it "plastic canvas", not mesh. ;D For 3D needlepoint.

Thanks to everyone that helped me with the info for dividing!

LOL I called it "plastic mesh" and even included a pic!!

Devon
I guess I am going to have to do it at a time when I have a lot of free time to spend monitoring them once they're both in there... David Bowie spotted Esteban for the first time last night in his two gallon QT next to Bowie's tank... now, it doesn't matter if he can see Esteban... if he sees Esteban's bowl, he will swim like mad at the glass trying to get over there to kill the poor little guy. :/

Thankfully, these are not the two I am hoping to divide... actually, I am considering getting a female to put in the other side of the divided with Esteban (I guess this means another rescue...!) - and the male I've ordered on AquaBid in his own...

Is there such thing as MTS Anonymous? ;D

LOL I called it "plastic mesh" and even included a pic!!

Well I knew what I was looking for thanks to you and your photos!! Sadly, Google did not. :/

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Hannah1064
Top Bottom