your thoughts on buying fish online?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Salazar, Jan 11, 2013.

1. SalazarValued MemberMember

hi all. i was looking into getting some blue pearl shrimp, and cannot find them anywhere except online. i was worried about the shrimp dying in the shipping process. should i buy them online?????

2. Orion5Well Known MemberMember

The thought of a fish or animal being in a box, and shipped in that individual manner, really sends shivers up my spine. But people do it, so it must be possible. I'll let other with more experience with this chime in.

3. EthanWell Known MemberMember

most of the times it costs extra for a higher life expectancy but yeah people do it all the time

4. p3t3rValued MemberMember

have baught many invertebrates and eggs online with no problems but would be a little more aprehensive about buying grown fish. There are those out there though that swear by buying online.

5. Matt BWell Known MemberMember

I think most stores receive their fish via mail so I'll bet you've already had a mail order fish.

Purchasing from reputable breeders or sources is something I'm all for, unfortunately all these sources are rarely within driving distance, I receive almost all my livestock through the mail and with the exception of one lost shipment, I have had an extraordinarily better outcome getting them this way.

That being said, haven't received shrimp this way but have fish, plants and snails. I think trying to get your shrimp from a fellow member by checking for or starting a thread in the buy/sell/trade forum would be a great start at getting some quality shrimp.:)

6. AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

I've ordered shrimps online.

Just do research when you are about to buy from a particular person to see if he/she is in good standing.

7. SalazarValued MemberMember

ok, thanks you guys!

8. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

I have bought many fish online. Just make sure you get a live arrival guarantee:)

9. Melissac584Valued MemberMember

I've been thinking about ordering fish on line. I love fan tail guppies but everywhere I go only have a handful to choose from and no where near as colorful as the ones online. Can anyone recommend a reputable company I can order fish from?

Thanks,
    Melissa

10. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Some sellers will still give you a refund/credit even if you don't pay for the overnight shipping, which is what is usually required for the guarantee. One thing to keep in mind with that, is that the shipping cost is not covered by the guarantee, so while you will get a refund for your 20 worth of fish, you won't get a refund on the 40 shipping fee. So if your order is expensive enough, it makes sense. But if its not, it might be better to risk the 2 day shipping. Something to think about.

I usually buy from aquabid, though many of the sellers have their own websites as well.

11. Melissac584Valued MemberMember

Good point about shipping! Thanks.

12. AtomskValued MemberMember

I've ordered Shell Dwellers, Killifish, Cherry Red Shrimp, and dozens of plants from online and they all alive doing fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice