Your Thoughts on Adding Angelfish. 55 Gallon Tank 

Alcmiller

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hey all!

it's been a while since I've posted on the forum but I've finally got a tank up and running with my grandmother.

Currently in the 55 gallon tank is:

2 Dwarf flame Gourami
6 Black Neon Tetras
6 Pristella Tetras
6 Serpea Tetras
and 1 pleco who's about half a foot long.

The tank previously held some cichlids that were moved to another tank and it's been cycled and running just perfectly for about 2 weeks now with all of the new fish.

As we've been slowly introducing new fish to the tank we realized we'd like a final center piece fish, something that's just a real piece of eye candy.

Do you think it would be feasable to top of the tank with one or two veil angelfish?

If you're worried about the serpeas, know that they've finally stopped their nipping after completing their school.

Thanks all!

dvc_r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
IMO "finnage" and Pristella/Serpea should not be in the same sentence or in the same tank.

Of course anything is possible (the odds lean towards...not...), so make sure you have an alternate plan just in case.

Kronnn

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What type of pleco is it? I thought that 55g is too small for most as they get huge.

Meenu

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
You can have one common pleco in a 55. I think that is the minimum recommended.

flyin-lowe

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Ive never had serpea tetras but a friend of mine just took his back to LFS because they were terrorizing his rams and cardinals. So I don't know how they would do with angels.

Alcmiller

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I read a lot of sad stories about sepaes after getting them, I noticed they would chase the gouramis every now and then. After adding the other tetras though, they really calmed down and they're actually quite mellow now. Also, after reading more on angelfish, I think I can get away with a short finned version, obviously not a veilfin.

I'll let you all know how it does.

Thanks for all of the advice!

dvc_r

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
they were terrorizing
A few years ago I had six Seprea in my tank (along with angels). My wife called them "devil fish"...

They tore some of my fish up mercilessly! I had to bring them back.

KayMay08

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have had tetras before and they tend to be fin nippers in my experience, so I would not put them in with angelfish. I have 4 angelfish in my 60 gallon, and they are doing great. In fact, two of them laid eggs yesterday!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom