Your Preferred Plant Substrate (Poll)

Discussion in 'Polls' started by QQQUUUUAADDD, Nov 25, 2012.

?

What is your preferred plant substrate? (besides dirt)

1. Flourite

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. Eco-complete

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. ADA Aquasoil

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. Others (please post what)

11 vote(s)
    68.8%
  1. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

I hate the dirt in my 10. It's just too messy for me and I'm looking for an alternative.

2. midnamoondog

midnamoondogWell Known MemberMember

I like the small gravel on top of the dirt. I wish I could afford ADA soil, honestly I have not tried it. I like the looks of flourite, but it is so messy and sharp. The price of Eco-Complete has also scared me off, so that's why I voted other.

3. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

4. Eienna

EiennaFishlore VIPMember

I have not used any, but I note that the Eco-complete is much less expensive than the Flourite by weight.

5. Everythingzen

EverythingzenWell Known MemberMember

I've never used anything beyond sand and gravel until recently. I prefer gravel over anything else so far for holding plants in place and allowing them to really root down.

6. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

I also just use regular river rock (small) in my 33g long heavily planted tank. No special dirt at all. However, I do not vacuum this tank so the detritus becomes fertilizer for the plants. Note, I also do 2/3's water changes every 5 days to help keep my water parameters where they need to be.

Eventually, after a year or so, it's my understanding the special dirt for planted tanks will have to be replaced due to it losing its nutrients.

Ken

7. hoboValued MemberMember

Just plain old gravel for me. No root tabs but I am thinking about adding sum ,liquid ferts no vacuuming 75% water change weekly but I’m slightly over stocked hopefully that won’t be a problem after Christmas :;shat

8. psalm18.2

psalm18.2Fishlore LegendMember

9. MotherMajesty:)

MotherMajesty:)Valued MemberMember

Never used anything but gravel with no fertilizers.

10. FeatherfinValued MemberMember

I don't like anything but dirt :p

11. Moneypenny1967

Moneypenny1967Valued MemberMember

12. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_bFishlore VIPMember

WOW! This is sooooo cool :;banaman any other place that I say that I only use gravel and *GASP* under gravel filters for my plants I get yelled at, cool to see so many others here that use only gravel.

13. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

I have sand in one tank and small pea gravel in the others :)
    Carol

14. Aquarist

AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

I have small river rock in my 33g long heavily planted and lots of detritus since I do not vacuum this tank as I would and do, non planted tanks.

Ken

15. tnfishkeeper

tnfishkeeperValued MemberMember

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice