Your opinion on Blennies

RandomFishBoi

Thinking of starting a saltwater tank. Just wondering what your thoughts and tips on saltwater blennies are if you've kept them. Are they aggressive? Are they safe with inverts and small fish? What are their dietary requirements? How many can I have in one tank? Are they reef safe? Are they good beginner fish? etc.

In particular I was thinking of the linear blennie or bicolor blennie and other Ecsenius blennies.

Jesterrace

Temperament can vary a bit. They can be aggressive with gobies and other smaller fish (similar body shape and space occupied). Generally though they are well behaved I have heard of some isolated cases of aggression with Bicolors, but definitely not the norm. The Starry and Lawnmower Blenny tend to get grumpy as they mature and are more territorial.

They are generally safe with inverts/corals, but as mentioned the smaller fish can be a problem. The linear can be somewhat problematic with the likes of Acrapora and other SPS corals.

The Tailspot blenny is smaller but IMHO a much better behaved fish in all respects and is part of the same family. Just supplement algae tabs and you should be good to go. They are funny characters who like to pop in and out of the rockwork.

veggieshark

I have no saltwater experience but I hooked a lot of blennies when I was fishing as a child. They are greedy and jump on anything they can eat. They chase away everything that comes close to them. I think they would bully the things they can overpower.

RandomFishBoi

They are funny characters who like to pop in and out of the rockwork.
Thats exactly what I'm looking for.

Jesterrace

Thats exactly what I'm looking for.

What size of a tank are you planning on doing? They are one of only a couple of blennies available that do well in really small nano tanks.

FYI this is the tailspot blenny:

RandomFishBoi

What size of a tank are you planning on doing?
Not 100% sure, but I think I'm gonna go with 30 gallons.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Jesterrace
  • Question
Replies
Views
kanzekatores
Replies
Views
Marsh980
Replies