Your Greatest Fear

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
As I was reading "HORROR movies" thread, I thought of "fear" in general. I'd like to hear what your greatest fear(s) is/are and why. It doesn't necessarily have to be in the movies. It can be ANYTHING that you're afraid of.

I'll start: I am TERRIFIED of spiders and other scary insects like that (especially big hairy flying insects). Just today, when I was doing a water change, I went to take out a bucket and found a big hairy spider in it. Of course I jumped up, screamed, and threw the bucket away as far as I could, lol. Wouldn't touch it again until my brother made sure the spider is gone, lol. I don't know why they scare me so much -  I guess it's the thought of "what if" such a thing bites me ... lol.

Another more serious thing that I fear are nuclear weapons. Not that I fear them as in some "phobia" ... lol, but generally as they are such a terrible threat to world peace today. I think nuclear weapons should be totally eradicated from the face of the Earth. All countries that have nuclear weapons should get rid of them unconditionally. They should also have procedures/policies in place to prevent nuclear weapons from being ever made again, once they're eradicated. I don't know if that will ever happen, but I'd really want all countries to get rid of nukes.

Also ... I would NEVER ever ... bungee jump! (Though I LOVE rollercoasters!)

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
The death of my husband or one of my kids. I panic about it regularly.

Mike

Fishlore
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
High gas prices - causes everything else to rise in price

Outsourcing - going to college and getting your bachelors degree only to find out that your job is now heavily outsourced - programming, accounting, manufacturing, legal, any type of back office work. And it's only picking up the pace. Sometimes the person that's been outsourced has to literally start all over again.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm terrifoed of Hights. I can't go anywhere that is high up.

I hate spiders too. If there is one in my room, I wont go back in there until my dad has got it out and put it out the window. I espessialy hate the spiders that can fly(Daddy Long leggs).

I also hate it when I'm home alone and I can hear the floor creaking because of the pipes under the floor boards. That terrifies me. I always have to have the radio or TV on so I can't hear it.

Gwenz

fish_r_friend

Well Known Member
Reaction score
what is it with everyone and spiders i have been bitten by one before so i don't care
I really don't like nukes the only place nukes should be is in a museum(unarmed)

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Greedy,dishonest or clueless politicians and heights..greedy,dishonest or clueless politicians are the root cause of nukes,high gas prices,triple-digit inflation,crime,and probably even spiders and houses that creak..heights,well they're just too high for my liking!

hopesmom

Valued Member
Reaction score
pain - as in the dentist, entertaining - particularly cooking for others, bugs touching me - they have their place, and it is not on me, falling - not the actual feeling of being up high - but of falling, kareoke - I sing like I cook! lol

Denise

one more..... speaking in public ! hate it! my knees knock, my voice shakes, and my mind goes blank

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Wow, so many of you are so right.

Boxermom, I think that goes even without saying - we're all afraid of the death of our loved ones (I can't even imagine what effect that would have on me and I hope that moment won't come for a long time).

Mike, I see you're very business-oriented, hence your fears are related to business. But, they're very legitimate fears - I agree with you. Economy IS very important and one little instability can cause everything else to disintegrate.

Richard, unfortunately most of the politicians are greedy for power and money, indeed. I also wish it didn't have to be so. But what makes the present state of politics (worldwide) so dangerous is the possession of nuclear weapons by many countries. In the past, if a military conflict developed, the means through which wars were fought did not eradicate entire populations and did not threaten to wipe out our species. Today, believe it or not, if a major world war breaks out with extensive use of nuclear weapons, it could mean a literal annihilation of the human race. Not all people would die at once (though many would die instantly in nuclear explosions), but it is especially the after-effects of such a war that are devastating. In the months following the war, people would slowly die off, as would animals and plants. The Earth would be uninhabitable for tens if not hundreds of years after the war (that's because radioactive elements are able to survive in the environment for a very long time). The possession of nuclear weapons in the hands of politicians makes them extremely dangerous. It would be so disappointing to see the human race being annihilated for the greed of a few politicians - where is the sense in that?

If anyone is reading this, I'd really recommend for you to read "The Fate of the Earth and the Abolition" by Jonathan Schell. It is a very powerful and eye-opening book about the dangers that nuclear weapons pose. It also describes in vivid detail the effects of nuclear explosions. It is something that everyone should read in today's world (precisely because we live in a nuclear era and no longer can we pretend that we're safe).

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
WOW we do have some things in common! I have read the book and it is excellent. It is eyeopening without the obvious grand standing common in some books on the subject.

I would have to say my biggest fear is to be a burden on the ones I care about.

Rose

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
chickadee said:
I would have to say my biggest fear is to be a burden on the ones I care about.
I'm already there, sad to say.

SunnShadow

Valued Member
Reaction score
Heights and the dark. I can't even step up on a short step-stool without feeling dizzy. I've been afraid of the dark ever since I was a little girl, and had almost gotten over it when someone "attacked" me from the shadows around my home a few years ago. I refuse to walk into a darkened area now. (Getting up in the night to pee is almost heart-stopping....)
I'd rather stand nude in front of 1000 people than walk in the dark.......

S.

Gwenz

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I used to be afraid of the dark too, and wouldn't go to sleep at night without the light on. Now I can't sleep if there is light in the room.

I'm like you SunnShadow. I get scared standing on a stool. I hate hights. Nobody, not even my mum can force me to go anywhere that is off the ground.

Gwenz

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I was never afraid of the dark and of creaking in the walls at night. I could understand why children are afraid of these things. But as you grow up, it goes away. I think it's really purely psychological - it is all in your mind because in reality there is really nothing to be afraid of at your own house at night. I mean, I know burglaries and thefts happen, but these are rare incidents and to most people these things will never happen (hopefully). So, don't be afraid of the dark I am sure there are no scary creatures like vampires living in your walls, lol. Just water running through the pipes, that's all

P.S. I could understand, however, if someone was attacked at night - that would probably leave an emotional scar in my mind as well, and I'd probably be afraid of the dark after such an incident as well. Let us hope none of us here ever gets attacked at night (or at any time whatsoever). Apart from being attacked at night and house burglaries, there is really nothing to fear

Jason

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Cockroaches especially the flying types, just disgusting. Also next years (yr 12) final exams!

DEADFISH

Reaction score
more of my fish dying
but no really...stuff like climbing up a tree that's 108 ft. high then having to have to jump off of it to go on a zipline...nothing except climbing up the tree was scary...but like i can jump out of the tree...it was just climbing it that freaked the **** outta me!!!

Marc

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Probably my 55 gallon falling over. :-X

I spazz out if I can't move at all. Stuck, inside a closet, etc. Not claustrophobic because it's only if I can't move. No idea what it'd be called.

friend_o_fish

Reaction score
I agree with fish_r_friend they can be pretty scary epically in the wrong hands.

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Marc, then you'd be terrified of NYC subways during rush hours. NYC trains are so packed during rush hours that you literally can't move inside, you're literally stuck. You'd hate it. When I am on such a train, I am not afraid of that, only I am disgusted by being surrounded by so many people and being in such a close proximity to strangers that may be God knows who. Plus, they may be sick or something, and you're standing so close to them. Disgusting. I limit myself to riding trains ONLY when I absolutely have to. New Yorkers usually take trains when they have to go to Manhattan - no matter how many cars you have, you better not take one of them to Manhattan - it will guarantee having your car scratched. Manhattan is so packed with cars you can barely move there. And it would take you longer to get to Manhattan by car than by a train. NYC is crazy, isn't ti? LOL

Buzz

Valued Member
Reaction score
flying insects freak me out but to me its more gross than scarry ...

For me, it is the ever wonderful fear of enclosed spaces...give me snakes and gators and frogs, muggers and bandits...but just put me in an elevator...lol

I look at Richard and our boy Aaron and they sometimes sleep with the covers right up over their heads on cold nights - it's amazing, just thinking about it gives me short-breath! lol

LilaBean

Valued Member
Reaction score
all these animal lovers and your afraid of insects!!! i too though can admit to fear of creepy crawly spiders-- and worse the spiders in the hallway of my apt!!! leading me to my next fear-- basements!! hate them-- run like mad up them from doing laundry ect. and to get away from the spiders-- LILA

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom